[.net] Saving Data in a C# app

Started by
6 comments, last by rfterdarc 17 years, 5 months ago
Is there any way to locally save data in/with my C# besides writing to a text files or creating a database and connecting to s SQL Server? I remember someone showing me an option in Visual C# but for the life of me I don't remember what it was. I've [google] and no luck there.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Do you mean Settings?

Do you mean a file in binary?

Serialization?

Registry (Win32 only)?
Ha! Settings was the option I was looking for. I'm not trying to write to a file (text or binary) and also I'm not trying to connect to a database (server). While teh Google, I looked at datasets. It seems I can (and of course tell me if I'm wrong or how horrible an idea this is if that's the case) open a dataset bind my field to them, save the values I put into those fields into the dataset and save them. Then the next time I open my app everything will populate and I can move on from there.

Is this proper? Or a no-no?

I'm really fond of Nini .NET Configuration Library. Has the ability to easily write to an INI file, the registry, .config, XML files, etc.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Yeah, I usually use Settings - Pretty neat feature. Recently I started to use ini and xml files and this is exactly the library I was looking for, Thanks :)
Just to be clear, Settings was the feature that I couldn't remember. But basically I just want to have data for my app to load, alter, and save. I was wondering if there's was any other way to do this than writing/saving to file (binary or text) or having to connect to database/server.

It looks like I can do this with just datasets. Right or wrong? Proper or no-no?

AFAIK DataSets involve files too (when saving data for further use), so basically there is no way to store any kind of data without writing them somewhere - registry, files, etc.

Althoug there could be one solution - Try out something with System.Reflection. It provides access to Dynamic Code parsing e.t.c. I think its possible to code a program, that has an attached DataSet and a full program source, which compiles its self on the fly, then stays in memory and rewrites itself.. :P OK, this may sound unrealistic :)

You might find this useful then
XMLDocument :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement