A push in the right direction.....

Started by
18 comments, last by Jay935 17 years, 5 months ago
Well, I think I'll stick with my decision. Since I already know the basics of Basic, I figure Dark or Blitz wouldn't be too hard to jump into. Once I'm comfortable with it and possibly a good game or 2 under my belt, I'll start delving into C++.

I've already started to dabble a bit in C++ with Visual C++. It doesn't seem to hard to understand.

I also have another question: Would it be a wise idea to learn a few languages at once, or choose one, go with it, and then move to another one?
Advertisement
Personally, I would learn one language at a time. Once you know one language, I think it is a lot easier to pick up another language. For example, if you already know VB.Net, then you learn C# or C++, you will be able to pick up on similarities between the languages. If you try learning multiple languages at the same time, you might end up confusing the syntax between the two (or however many languages you are learning). At least that is how it would be for me.
Picking C++ or C or BASIC, ect... is something only you can answer. Give them a try and see which ones you don't like. Get Visual Studio Express for C# or C++, try the DEMO for DarkBASIC, maybe try Pyhon. Asking other people what is best for you will only lead to bias comments.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Quote:Original post by Jay935
I also have another question: Would it be a wise idea to learn a few languages at once, or choose one, go with it, and then move to another one?
Again this depends on largely on you, but in general it would probably be better to stick to a single language at least to begin with, and then expand into others once you've got a grasp of the basics.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I downloaded Visual C++ 2005 Express. Darn Dial-up. Took me forever. I will be tring out DarkBasic and BlitzBasic later today. I will continue to learn Basic. Then I'll move on to C++. I figure 2 languages would be a little difficult anyways. Since I'm already learning Basic, I'll stick with it.

I ask people because I'm kind of wandering in the dark here. Hence the title of the thread. I just needed some advice.
Ok, so I'm currently taking a class on Visual Basic in my high school. But, I've been wanting to learn some other programming languages, and learn about game design.

Learn Python or Pascal. I love the P-languages. =D

I downloaded Visual C++ 2005 Express. Darn Dial-up. Took me forever. I will be tring out DarkBasic and BlitzBasic later today. I will continue to learn Basic. Then I'll move on to C++. I figure 2 languages would be a little difficult anyways. Since I'm already learning Basic, I'll stick with it.

I ask people because I'm kind of wandering in the dark here. Hence the title of the thread. I just needed some advice.

Excellent! Seeing that you really aren't geared towards a "hit, next-gen" game, I suggest Blitz3d (uses BlitzBASIC, but allows you to create both 2d and 3d games) which uses DirectX 7. It introduces you to game design/programming, with BASIC (which you know the basics of). Along with the Blitz3d package comes a big tutorial file. It has 2d & 3d tutorials by various developers. It will take you to making asteroid clones, to pong, to small worlds, and even a full FPS. None of them have codes to a full game, but rather parts of it. The FPS example loads up a few models, lighting, textures, and a small world.
Blitz3d is probably the best way to go; DarkBASIC can be confusing for the beginner BASIC programmer. Good luck!
Oh, and I suggest learning Java after BASIC as well. I felt that C++ was a little too daunting, and Java somehow made sense. The syntax was understandable, and something just clicked. I'm starting small with small "games" like RoboCode. But, if C makes sense to you already, then by all means go ahead! Just don't swamp yourself with both BASIC and C++/any other language, unless you really feel you can do it. For me, syntax from BASIC got mixed with Java, and my Java programs kept messing up (luckly I have books and the Api docs).
It's one of those "whatever floats your boat"-kinda things.

Regards,
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Well, I downloaded the demo of Blitz3D. Apparently, BlitzBasic and VisualBasic have some distinct differences....The demo doesn't come with any tutorials, and I haven't found any decent ones online, so I guess the only option is to go ahead and buy it, since tutorials come with the full version.

I'm also going to buy those books (or at least similar ones) I mentioned on my first post. Online tutorials can only get you so far...

[Edited by - Jay935 on October 27, 2006 11:40:35 PM]
Hello,

I'm just staring out with programming myself. I, like many others, decided that I was going to learn C++ first because all the cool stuff was in C++ (I was trying figure out how many chapters I needed to read in order to start using Ogre 3d, hahah). Got about 5 chapters into "C++ Primer Plus" and felt like I was moving very slow. Then I stumbled upon How To Think Like a Computer Scientist that used Python to teach the concepts, and got through the same topics that took me a week to get through in C++ in about 2 hours. Definitely realized I was taking the wrong approach.

More recently, I came across snk_kid's Self taught beginner (game) programmers are misguided, let me shed some light... and decided to take his advice. I'm currently reading "How to Design Progams" and learning the Scheme language. After I complete the book and get a good handle on Scheme, I plan to move on to Python, and take it from there.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experiences. Good luck to you.
Interesting... I might try out Scheme, but I also heard that Python, Phrogram, and Ruby were good for beginners as well. Gah! So many choices, I don't know what to go with. I'm taking a class on Visual Basic right now, so going with some flavor of Basic seems to be the best route. Yet, C++ seems to make a little bit more sense to me than Basic does, so I could also go with that. But, I guess what language you choose is a matter of opinion, really. Whether it be C++, Java, Basic, Scheme, Python, or whatever.

I don't expect to be able to produce anything that great really fast. I'm going to buy the books Game Programming for Teens, 2nd Edition, and Beginning C++ Game Programming. They both assume that the reader has no programming experience, which is good for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement