Questions & Comments on 3ds Max 7 Weapons

Started by
2 comments, last by D Shankar 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I've been working on my modelling for several months now, and the following weapons are two low poly rifles that I have been working on. This isn't all I have done, though. This is a modified Galil, with no rifle butt (because it looked horrible when modelled). I never got around to texturing because it was modelled in GMax. I have no use for this model and will probably release it free sometime down the line. Specs: Modelling: 6 hours Poly: 1080 (low poly) Image Hosted by ImageShack.us The following is a WIP of the FN SCAR-L. Very low poly. So far, I spent 1/2 hr. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Any suggestions, comments etc welcome. [Edited by - D Shankar on October 26, 2006 8:37:29 PM]
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Advertisement
If it is a world model (ie, what the enemies carry), it is way too high-poly. Your cylinders are far too rounded. If it is a player model, its not detailed enough. The most important, and needless, poly-gobbler you have, though, is this 'edgeloop' idea for environments. Edgeloops are great while you model, and obviously they are a requirement for deformable objects, but for static/nondeformable objects, get rid of edges that define nothing (and I should add, ALL edges should define something on an organic model). I am specifically referring to the 'edgeloops' you carry up from the front and rear of the grip, and the back for the forward-grip. You are adding hundreds of extra polys.

1080 polys is not bad... but are those 1080 polygons, or triangles? Triangles are all that matters. Regardless, once you add the stock, and clip, your polies will raise much higher, so remove all you can now. Overall, not bad, just needs some practice, and experience on what works and what doesn't. However, I don't know what is the norm for shooting games and FPS games, so I could be off.

The SCAR is too early right now to comment.
-------------www.robg3d.com
I had a question about detail and where to use polys.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Currently, the body (blue) is 138 polys, which is good. The brown, which is detail (see ) of these spike things (hard to describe, sorry, find real-life pix, you'll see what I'm talking about). The brown part (not even complete) is 150 polys. That, imo, is too much.

My question: Is it too much detail? Should the rails/spike thing just be textured? One question you're likely to ask is if this is for an FPS/RTS/3PS. The answer is towards a 3PS/RTS.
Quote:Original post by Professor420
Your cylinders are far too rounded. If it is a player model, its not detailed enough. The most important, and needless, poly-gobbler you have, though, is this 'edgeloop' idea for environments. Edgeloops are great while you model, and obviously they are a requirement for deformable objects, but for static/nondeformable objects, get rid of edges that define nothing (and I should add, ALL edges should define something on an organic model). I am specifically referring to the 'edgeloops' you carry up from the front and rear of the grip, and the back for the forward-grip. You are adding hundreds of extra polys.

I'll look into this edgeloop thing.

1080 polys is not bad... but are those 1080 polygons, or triangles? Triangles are all that matters. Regardless, once you add the stock, and clip, your polies will raise much higher, so remove all you can now. Overall, not bad, just needs some practice, and experience on what works and what doesn't.

I haven't made the clip yet, and I don't think I will add a stock to the gun. It is 1080 Polygons, and I don't know how to find out how many tris in Gmax. If you see the pictures below, the cylinders in the body are not very poly consuming. If I remember right, they are only 8 sided. The cylinders for the front-portion, though, are around 10-14 sided. I also used Boolean for a cut. The front cylnders were probably too much. I think the model looks higher-poly than it is because I used smooth modifiers (not mesh smooth-that adds too many polys), and smoothing groups. Nevertheless, I could have easily achieved this same model with about 600 polys.
That's why for the SCAR model, I'm using extrusions/scaling to get a similar effect (rather than poly-consuming cylinders).

"If it is a world model (ie, what the enemies carry), it is way too high-poly. "..."However, I don't know what is the norm for shooting games and FPS games, so I could be off."

Most likely for a third person shooter. But the Galil will be re-done (probably different gun model/blueprint as well), as I'll probably use .3ds models, not .gmax models.

Thanks for the suggestions;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement