Started by
25 comments, last by Adriac 17 years, 5 months ago
FF1 had all the nice little niches so did Guild Wars

Fighter-Tough armor shield sword
Healer/buffer- nuff said
Magic slinging guy with a fireball in hand- nuff said
Light fighter- Faster, more damage, less armor
Ranged fighter- This is still a cliche
Necro- Death magic (actually no this is not really a cliche)
RPGs, Strategys, MMORPGsI'm a Game designer with a need for the perfect combination of max stats and pure skill
Advertisement
At this point, every class/race/whatever is derivative and undeniably cliche. The genre is built on specific archetypes, without these commonalities you begin to blur the distinction of the genre. For example, if I have a computer hacker class in an RPG, what differentiates that from a Cyberpunk game?

The cliches as you call them are necessities of defining the genre.
This thread sort of makes me think of this:

RPG's

If you don't like medeival fantasy-based RPG's, then why don't you play one of the hundreds of other games available instead of complaining that medeival fantasy RPG's are far too medieval, fantasy-like, and RPG-ish?
Quote:Original post by Morpheus011The genre is built on specific archetypes, without these commonalities you begin to blur the distinction of the genre. For example, if I have a computer hacker class in an RPG, what differentiates that from a Cyberpunk game?

What keeps it from being a Cyberpunk RPG?

The majority of cliche classes fall into the categories listed above, because nearly every RPG out there is combat-oriented. And those classes have been proven time and time again as being the best selection for combat oriented games.

The cliches start to get broken once you stop considering combat as the "only" option. Then you start to get things like computer hackers and stealth characters. Start to get really creative, you might find a place for a Time Mage or a Wayward Soul.

Time Mage
In combat, the time mage can reverse time if things are going poorly. Outside of combat, the time mage can use time control to manipulate people and situations. For example, the king is about to be assassinated and you have to discover who is going to do it in time to protect him. The time mage can walk in at the moment the assassination happens, see who the killer is, then turn back time and track that man down before it happens.

Wayward Soul
The wayward soul can enter/leave hosts at will, giving the player control of that character. It's life energy drains away if it is not inside a host. He may take control of one of the enemies and use it to fight off the others, or take control of a rat to slip through a pipe and spy on a meeting.

[Edited by - JBourrie on October 30, 2006 3:16:16 PM]

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

The time mage was a very cool concept when it was just new, but I found many video games to fall short of its potential. One role I'd like to see more -a SOUND mage. Play psychological tricks with your enemies with sound beam projections, or make them physically ill...hmm, how would sound come into play in battle? Wish more games can play with the idea of sound more.
Quote:Original post by Just Chris
The time mage was a very cool concept when it was just new, but I found many video games to fall short of its potential. One role I'd like to see more -a SOUND mage. Play psychological tricks with your enemies with sound beam projections, or make them physically ill...hmm, how would sound come into play in battle? Wish more games can play with the idea of sound more.

We have them already, they're usually called debuffers.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
The time mage was a very cool concept when it was just new, but I found many video games to fall short of its potential.

That's because the standard "FF-like" Time Mage has spells like "slows down enemies" and "speeds up party members". Once again, focused on battle.

Actual time control, the ability to move backward in time to redo events, has only been done twice to my knowledge (Prince of Persia, Braid) and those games only used them for action/platforming/puzzle sequences. There is alot more room for this class in RPGs*

*Did you see me shudder as I typed that? It burns! It burns!

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Well, if the topic has started to shift into "The least cliche RPG classes" I can think of a few.

The Tactician from Fire Emblem:
Even though the tactician never makes any moves on the battle field (since its mainly the representation of the player who moves the other units) all the other units take orders from it.

I imagine a 'Tactician' class in an RPG would mainly act as an information gatherer/communications person. Such as getting a radar view of all the enemies on the field, analysing the oponents to find weaknesse, make predictions on battle conditions (tell when the weather is about to change, predict what the enemies next move might be, listen for friendly units that may be passing by).

Plus communicate with fellow players when they are away from the group.

And in out-of combat situations the Tactician would work to plan routes to the next town, what goods and services towns are known to carry and such... basically help out by getting the information to other characters. Would probably do really poorly if forced to fight an enemy but is really good at knowing how to exploit weaknesses in the enemy and ordering others.

The merchants

Another class that might not do well in combat, but should be pretty good at out-of combat support like getting supplies for the team and selling the loot they gather for a profit. In Nethack, the shopkeepers tend to carry powerful wands to attack with and can call the Keystone Kops to take out shoplifters.

I imagine a merchant character would carry more items than normal characters, would buy and sell to other NPCs to get money for the group, carry and guard supplies to avoid weighing down the fighters, identify items and perform some healing and repair services according to their abilities.

Plus potentially having some good persuasion skills to deal with potential enemies. (like bribing guards, conning opponents out of their money, treating enemies to a drink laced with a sleeping drug, or possibly buying their weapons off them and then letting their allies attack the weaponless enemy)

Musician

(sort of a take on the Sound Mage mentioned)

A chacter whose music can encourage others and aid in healing, restoration and growth... but mainly outside of combat (seriously, when arrows and swords are flashing around who wants to listen to music?)

helps enhance the restorative properties of medicine and food and spells (so while a 'mealtime music' is playing characters receive 10% more resorative effect from the food and enjoy it more... could get a musician a job in a restaurant to play for customers. similar songs could help patients recover from injuries or plants, pets, monsters to grow stronger).

Other songs might make monsters less hostile, charm monsters (charm snakes or make rats follow the musician in a line), deter monsters (chase away birds from an area), or make monsters turn agressive (incite parannahs into a feeding frenzy so they attack eachother before the party enters the water... or make birds the players enemies).

Basically a musician (as opposed to a standard bard) uses music to enhance the effects of things you already use or to manipulate how the monsters in the evironment act. If they are used in 'combat' then it is from far away or before the first blow is struck. Basically another support class that helps people both inside and out of combat.

Plus they could add a little bit of environment if the musician could change the background music playing at the time... Hmmm wonder what a game would be like if you could go into a spooky graveyard and stard playing country bluegrass to mess with the ghosts?

Anyway, those are a few ideas.

This has some great potential, when it comes to tactics. The military already uses sound to drive enemies out of their minds. A sound mage can cause destractions that can be exploited by other characters.
-----------------------------------------------------
http://divineknightgaming.com
Technically the sound mage has been around for a while to some degree, usually as the "bard" class (i.e. D&D, EverQuest, Ragnarok Online)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement