Visual 2003 vs visual 2005

Started by
12 comments, last by benryves 17 years, 5 months ago
What is the difference between the two versions in terms of CPP programming? I have 2003 and I am considering of purchasing the newer one. Primarily because the code completion doesnt work good. Thanks in advance.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
Why not play with the Express Edition? I use Visual Studio for C♯, and have both the Professional edition of 2003 and the collective Express Editions of 2005. I haven't touched 2003 in months.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

There's really no competition. But since you ask for some C++ differences:
  • Debugging has been vastly improved, particularly in the area of inspecting variables at runtime. It also handles introspection of STL containers much better

• The secure SCL (standard C++ library) helps guard against common programming errors, such as advancing an iterator past the end() of the container.

• Better compiler.

• Better IntelliSense (feels that way, anyway). It seems to handle intellisense in generic code much better now.

• Profile-guided optimisation!

• And more

I got Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition, and I also haven't used VS2003 except to check my old include directory settings.

I'll expand on my IntelliSense findings, since that seems to be what you're interested in. 2003's didn't do intellisense in template code at all, really. Now I can at least have it list members when inside of a class_name<T>::function_name. It also lists constructors and destructors in the autocomplete dropdown, and it lists methods that only a prototype have been given for. So you have
class X{  int foo(int bar, int baz);}

then you can just type "int X::f" and autocomplete will list foo's function signature. You could do this in 2003, I think, but in 2005 you can press enter and it will fill in the parameters for you. Maybe I'm getting confused and you could do this in 2003, too, but in any case, it's little things like this that I like about Visual Studio 2005.

You can find more info on the New Features list at MSDN.

I'll summarise:
* Creating New Projects from Existing Source Code
* Custom Build Rules - yes, you can add your own build tools! Yay!
* This list is a fake list using ASCII because I'm too lazy for HTML (you've had a real <ul> anyway)
* Multi-platform support (Windows CE, etc, but you could add linux, OS/2, symbian, Gameboy, etc if you liked)
* Physical Directory View for Projects (SCORE! I didn't know you could do this until I learned just now)
* Shared Project Properties (Project Property Sheets) - eh what?
* XML Documentation Comments - I've actually noticed this. It seems to work with doxygen style comments too though. It's quite a nice touch.
Is there an edition of visual 2005 that has only C++? Like in 2003.
I thinkt it was called Visual standard C++ for 2003.
I couldnt find information about such a version in microsoft's website.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
It's called Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, and it's free. It's available for download from MSDN. Get it.

Is it the equivalent of the standard CPP 2003?
Does it have intellisence for instance?
I will try to get it.
I am amazed that such a powerfull tool would be free.
But the license probabbly does not allow to sell programs you have compiled with this express edition?
MrEvil: how did you get intelisense working? i've got MSVC++ Express 2005. and it always shows "Updating InteliSense" in status bar. I renamed some .dll file for turning it off. i searched for info, found some files, but you must register or something to download them.
You might want to also get Visual Assist from Whole Tomato Software for better code completion (Intelli-Sense). It works very nice in Visual Studio 2005 aswell.

http://www.wholetomato.com/

I have been using it for years and think it makes me much more productive.
I like VS 2005 -- the re-vamped the debugger is nice, and best of all, it parallelizes compiles across dual cores.

The Intellisense is about the same, as far as I can tell, although they seem to have added a little bit of compiling in the background to find errors for you while you're typing.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by MrEvil
There's really no competition. But since you ask for some C++ differences:

[...]
  • The secure SCL (standard C++ library) helps guard against common programming errors, such as advancing an iterator past the end() of the container.

• [...]

Yeah, secure SCL is sooo great...
Now tell me why it makes the following code fail to compile:
struct mystruct{   std::string name;   bool operator<(const std::string & s) const {      return name < s;   };};std::vector<mystruct> vv;std::string key("test");std::lower_bound(vv.begin(), vv.end(), key);

Sorry for this little hijack, overall I like vs2005 very much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement