Need guidance for windows GUI

Started by
3 comments, last by Colin Jeanne 17 years, 5 months ago
So I need some advice here. I've never done much GUI programming so I'm at a bit of a loss about what to use to create a GUI for a map editor I'm making. So I was hoping to get some useful suggestions about what I can/should use and where I can get info on it. I'm using C++ and VS Express, and I've been trying to find tutorials on using the win32 API, and I've found bits and pieces but nothing that made much sense to me. I'm also drowning in a sea of abbreviations (do I need to use COM, ATL, .NET, WTF?) Really, I'm pretty lost and hoping someone can throw me a lifeline. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Advertisement
If you want to write a GUI that only runs on Windows, I definitely recommend using C# over C++. It's *very* easy to build GUI applications using Microsoft's VS for C#.

Whereas there are materials out there for C++ win32 programming, I'd argue there are better tools for the job :) If for some reason it needs to be C++, I'd advise having a look at either GTK (and use Glade to build the UI) or at QT and QT designer.

(Of course, for C++ you would use the GTKmm library and Glademm!)
"Leave it to the computer programmers to shorten the "Year 2000 Millennium Bug" to "Y2K." Isn't that what caused this problem in the first place?"
With Visual C++ Express, you pretty much have to go with "Windows Forms" with "Managed C++". The sites codeproject and codeguru have a lot of code that can be used as bootstraps or examples.

My editor is still old-school Windows/C++/MFC, but I have started to port it to Windows Forms/Managed C++. I'd be happy to give you the source to this. It's experimental code, but it might help you get started.

Edit: the above post has a point too. If you're just getting started, C# is something to consider.
I've got nothing to add to the previous posts but one thing:

I think you can use everything but C++ to construct a UI. This statement isn't language based but framework based. Java AWT/Swing, the .NET framework, etc are professionally build frameworks that exist for one purpose: make your life easier.
After all, you want to make a level editor, not a window manager or event manager.

So make your life easy and use a framework.
Next time I give my advice, I'll buy some bubblegum so I won't your kick ass!
If you're using Visual C++ Express you do not have to use Windows Forms or Managed C++. Nor is it true that you cannot make GUI apps with C++.

Since you're using Visual C++ Express, you'll first need to download the Platform SDK to start developing Win32 applications. This isnt for just GUIs but for any application for Windows. Next, I recommend starting off at a site like Winprog. This site has a set of tutorials for writing Win32 GUI applications in C (note, not C++) and these should get you started.

If you can find a copy of Programming Windows, 5th Ed by Petzold, grab it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement