Beginner GLSL Problems

Started by
2 comments, last by ghempton 17 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to learn GLSL but I am coming across some really weird things: First, if I create a trivial vertex/fragment shader it works fine: [vertex] main(void) { gl_Position = ftransform(); } [fragment] main (void) { gl_FragColor = vec4(0.4,0.4,0.8,1.0); } However, once I try and introduce texturing some weird things happen. If I modify the above shaders to the following: [vertex] main(void) { gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0; gl_Position = ftransform(); } [fragment] uniform sampler2D colorMap; main (void) { gl_FragColor = vec4(0.4,0.4,0.8,1.0); //gl_FragColor = texture2D( colorMap, gl_TexCoord[0].st); } The above shaders render the object with the texture, even though the fragment shader just assigns each fragment a constant color. In fact, it seems as though if I set gl_TexCoord[0] in the vertex shader, it doesnt matter what I do in the fragment shader, it just textures the scene. Furthermore, it also doesn't matter what I set gl_TexCoord[0] to in the vertex shader, it will still just render the scene the same way. For instance, the following shaders do the same as the above shader: [vertex] main(void) { gl_TexCoord[0] = vec4(0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0); gl_Position = ftransform(); } [fragment] uniform sampler2D colorMap; main (void) { //gl_FragColor = vec4(0.4,0.4,0.8,1.0); gl_FragColor = texture2D( colorMap, gl_TexCoord[0].st); } Does anyone know what is going on? It looks like my shaders are messing up and the fixed function pipeline takes over or something but I dont know. Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks, ghempton
Advertisement
How are you going about rendering the polygons? What I mean by this is you should do this

Setup textures
Call Shader
Render with glDraw*
Shutdown textures
Shutdown Shader

BTW you don't need glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D) with the shaders. Also how is your setup code for the shaders? Did you assign the texture to the correct unit? And give it the name reference colorMap?

I am actually just trying to do this with a cylinder right now. I am using gluCylinder.

As far as setting up the shaders is concerned, I am fairly certain that I am compiling linking and then using the program correctly. I am also making sure that the active texture unit is GL_TEXTURE0. However, I am not sure how to connect texture unit 0 with a name reference. How do you go about that?

Ahh, I wasn't sure about GL_ENABLE(GL_TEXTURE_2D). Now that I am not enabling that, the cylinder renders completely white.
Ok, I realized that I forgot to bind colorMap to the texture (originally I assumed that it did this for me).

I do the following:

GLint samplerLoc = glGetUniformLocation(p, "colorMap");
glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[0]);
glUniform1i(samplerLoc, texture[0]);

The cylinder now renders completely black.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement