• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stimarco

"GDNet Marketplace" forum.

This topic is 4633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by stimarco
If someone wants to offer their artistic, musical, written, design or programming services, I don't have a problem with it personally. We'd need an FAQ (very basic) and make it clear that non-gamedev spamming will not be tolerated.

My concerns here are two-fold:

1) potential loss of advertising revenue to GDNet from people who would otherwise be paying to advertise their services
2) the potential for 'our' posters, such as Gaiiden and Salsa, to be drowned out of that forum by a lot of impersonal contractors bumping or reposting their threads on a very regular basis.

I think a trial period could be in order.

Advertisement
Well, why not have the forum invisible unless you've been a GDnet user for 6+ months? It could solve most of the problems, I think. Why wait six months to spam? No AP posts, keeping it GD, etc... Ofcourse, if the forum is invisible, no GDnetter who has been here less than 6 months would be able to post requests in response. Just a thought.

It would require some alterations to the forum software, but hopefully not much.

Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
Well, why not have the forum invisible unless you've been a GDnet user for 6+ months? It could solve most of the problems, I think. Why wait six months to spam? No AP posts, keeping it GD, etc... Ofcourse, if the forum is invisible, no GDnetter who has been here less than 6 months would be able to post requests in response. Just a thought.

It would require some alterations to the forum software, but hopefully not much.

I think Kylotan makes an interesting point about advertising revenues. However, I can't say I've seen many banner ads from contractors, so I'm not sure how much of a loss that would represent.

What about making it impossible to start a new thread in the "GDNet Marketplace" forum unless you're a paid-up GDNet+ member? This would add a GDNet+ feature that I think would be attractive to many current waverers. After all, the GDNet+ fee isn't so much to ask for a place to sell your talents.

I'm not totally sure about the implementation - mainly dealing with different types of offers are handled - but I really love the idea. I want help threads stay in Help Wanted, I'm offering help threads go in the Marketplace forum, and Check out my game/contest/etc threads stick around in Your Announcements (which could stand to have a FAQ defining the forum's purpose, by the way).

Such a forum and the site-wide ads have two different purposes - the forum is not likely to be seen as often as ads, which are proeminently displayed on the site. Having this service restricted to GDNet+ users is also a good idea - if it is possible to implement it, I'd say it's the way to go (this way, GDNet+ offer is improved in a very cool way, since both GDNet and GDNet+ users can get something valuable (GDNet get new GDNet+ users, GDNet+ users can sell their talent). That's a win-win situation).

Regards,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!