Sign in to follow this  
Radan

Froce Feedback at precise Frequency

Ok, I think this is the right section for the question. For a certain project(actually my friends project but never mind) we need to make a mechanical device that will vibrate at a certain frequency. I'm not asking how to use the force feedback with Direct Input, I just need to know how precise the whole system can be. Meaning what kind of error I can expect on the frequency output (at the peripheral device) and what is the precision of the force feedback interface. Meaning: what frequency range I can hope to achieve and what response times might I expect when changing frequency on a typical of the shelf forcefeedback device (i.e. time delay from when I change the desired frequency in code to the device responding). Basically the idea is to strip the device (gamepad?) and use just the force feedback unit. As DirectInput documentation says the smallest time value I can supply for the vibration period is 1 millisecond, so that would mean I can't theoretically produce higher frequency vibration that 1 kHz. Is that correct, is the high limit even lower due to some other reasons, and is 1kHz the resolution of the frequencys I can produce? If someone can point me to some technical information of that nature I would be very gratefull. I googled for a while and didn't find anything relevant. And game device vendors, of course, don't include information on how precise is thir force unit. I hope I was clear enough on what information I am looking for. Thanks for any help.

I seriously doubt that you are going to get the kind of precision that you are looking for in a standard gaming input device. The manufacturer's outlook is probably "hey, as long as they can tell short vibrations from the long ones, we're good". I wouldn't depend on it to be calibrated correctly, or have the range specified by the API.

Instead, I recommend looking into electronics or robotics sites. It's easy to find motors and controllers, so you may have some luck there.

Yeah, that's what I recon as well, but I still don't wanna discard the idea just like that. Was hoping to find some specific info.

I talked to the friend and 200 Hz ia the highest frequency required.