Bloom effect on opengl

Started by
6 comments, last by kaysik 17 years, 5 months ago
What's the best way ? In some articles i found there is such method as copy all glowing objects rendered from eye-sight into texture, blur it and draw again overscreen. It's probably the only way, but there is always missing a part how to blur it fast etc. Lot of games i saw use glowing and it works fast enough. Anyone who tried glowing could give some tips, or probably a sample code ? I mean exactly what is called bloom-effect. [Edited by - Centurion on November 6, 2006 1:26:27 PM]
Advertisement
see gamasutra + nvidia dev website they have examples
what u normally do
is first blur out the render buffer horizontally
+ then use that as the texture input + blur that vertically
repeat this ~3-4 times and then draw the texture over the screen fullsize
Just on a related note, what's HDR also?
Actually, if you look at the rendermonkey example of blur, it does a jitter blur, that gives better looking blur and its cheaper than a seperable blur...

Regarding HDR, its a way to preserve high contrast between low colours (dark grays/black) and how colours (white). Again, see nvidia dev kit + gamasutra + article on gamedev somewhere about HDR...

DP
3rd generation time waster
HDR is high dynamic resolution, is just a more detailed textures covering all details in dark and bright lighing, read about it from the guy who "invented" it - http://www.debevec.org/

What is redmonkey blur and where to find it ? ^^
I just need some examples, not a complex manuals covering how rendering will be made by green-colored aliens that will visit earth ten centures in future.
nehe has a simple example of this
nehe.gamedev.net

They use a pink spring - looks good.
If i get you right you are talking about tutorial 36. That's not a bloom effect, not even a blur. It's radial blur, making thing looks like they have some light behind them. And i'm need just a blur effect that looks like scene lost focus. Or a complete bloom code, if anyone knows where to find one )
Real-Time "TRON 2.0" Glow in Half-Life

I implimented fullscreen glow based off that tutorial. Its all about how to put it into halflife, but its pretty simple to put it into your own code as well. It does use shaders, but you could just do it yourself in software and it'll at least give you a good place to start.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement