2d images given precise 3d behavior?

Started by
32 comments, last by Sylon 17 years, 5 months ago
My impression is that you are doing far too much low-level detail planning far too early.
As you learn more about programming, doubtless you will learn many alternate approaches, some of them quite possibly better than this one.

So rather than try to conceptualize this algorithm, then learn to program; consider doing the reverse: learn to program, then once you have a good knowledge of the tools available, look at the algorithm with a better understanding of the performance factors and whatnot that will affect it.
Advertisement
Gadzooks. Learn to program?! I dunno where to start! It's such a broad thing.

It's MAJOR tempting for me to be a "good coder". I've tried to learn some code before but man I was left in the dark.

How long did it take coders to get decent? Must have been years right? Do any of you think I could learn it by reading books and stuff and NOT going to college for it? Because currently I'm a senior in college, majoring in of course digital art.

I don't want to abandon this topic just yet! We're making so much progress! Look at all these geniuses!
Quote:Original post by Sylon
A. A team of people who can, if I don't learn to code it myself. I doubt I will learn to code it myself and you know why, haha. Hopefully I'll be able to pay the team. Otherwise it might have to be friends of mine who I can work intimately with.

Only if you're really lucky you'll find someone willing to help you. Whether that person is really qualified to create it, is another question.
If I were you, I really would invest some time in learning a language yourself. I realize it may be difficult, but then so is creating graphics and you seem to have that one covered pretty well.

B. I have thought about this and came up with one conclusion: The game will be a hobby of mine so my life won't depend on it financially. (..) I FEEL like I'll keep interest in the project because I've planned much of it already and it excites the hell outta me, plus I know what my art will look like overall, and that also excites me.

Creating games is a hobby of mines as well. Its been so for like 10 years now. I have attempted several games, but only two were ever completed. And honestly, I completely understand it when you say that you feel you'll keep interest in it. I too have that feeling when it comes to new games.
The first game I ever finished (a space invaders clone) took me around 6 months, including the creation of graphics). The second game less than three. In between, I've started around 4 or 5 games, which were all abandoned. Failed interests and too difficult designs were only secondary reasons. Primary reason: a change in lifestyle!
When I created my first game, I was still at school. With plenty of spare time, I was able to learn a programming language (Delphi in my case) and Lightwave (graphics). Next to that, I also had time left to play games and socialize with friends.
However, that all changed when I finished school. Spare time suddenly dropped to only a small percentage of what its been when I was at school. I applied to a job where I would be behind a pc at least 6 to 8 hours a day. I'm sure you'll understand that by the time I get home, I don't always want to jump behind my own pc again to work on my next game.

Point is, currently you may have all the time in the world, but that will change. You may find a job or perhaps have a family that is going to take a whole lot of your time. It's unrealistic to think you'll spent the coming 10 years on this game.

C. I've imagined that technology will be better yes. Wouldn't it make my game just run faster?

It probably will run faster yes. But like I said, many things you are now striving for to get in 2d, are by then very common in 3d with, quite possible, much better results.

The reason I want it done in 2d (the hard way) is because I am in love with 2d video games, not 3d ones. There is still a cult following of 2d lovers (you most likely know that). It's not just nostalgia, it's for various reasons. I am basically, to the best of my knowledge, making the grandest game of pixel art ever made.

Fair enough.

No other artists with either their silly opinions or their different art styles, just me and mine. No coders waiting and waiting, pressuring for me to finish my art--I'll find a dev team after I'm done with everything, hopefully ready to go, except for a few minor things I'd need to tweak for the code (that's why I'm trying to understand the major code issues with art right now).

Coding and creating the graphics are two things that preferably should go (nearly) simultaneously. It's very difficult to create them beforehand, without knowing how they are going to be used in the game itself. Especially if you don't have any idea about how to create such a game, and have to rely on what people tell you in a forum (no matter how good or bad that advice is)

You're asking a lot of questions here if something is possible, but unless you get the answer from someone who is also going to realize the actual solution, you are most likely going to face the situation some day where the programmer is going to say, "Right, I'm sure someone once told that it is possible, but I really don't know to get your feature xxx in the game."

Anyway, just my 2 cents. And please don't get me wrong. I completely understand your reasons and why you are doing it. I'm afraid though, that you're doing a lot of it for nothing (except for the learning aspect).

[Edited by - Traveler on November 14, 2006 7:38:33 AM]
Well you guys have definitely convinced me to start learning to code!

Yeah I realize my family and job will take a lot of my time. I was thinking my free time would be devoted over decades, to the game. But yes of course the future is not predictable. I guess all I can do now is hope!

I'm currently reading a C++ tutorial. I didn't know notepad could be used to write the code (but not compile it). That's so cool!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement