Sign in to follow this  

New To C#

This topic is 4056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, you may know me as the designer for Mechnet, but i've always been interested in programming as I am a very logical person and very strong at math for my age (16). I've spoken to our lead programmer and he presented me the pros and cons of many common but powerful languages and i've decided to use visual c# express edition 2005 to learn c#. Since i'm a noob to general visual programming but NOT programming logic, i would appreciate if someone could give me pointers to free online resources that would lead me step by step to get familiar with the syntax and structures used in c#. I do have a small programming background (2 courses in highschool with a useless programming language but really good to build foundation: Turing by Holtsoft) and so i'm familiar with modules, classes, functions, variable types, conditional statements, loops, etc. But I'm not good enough to use a tutorial that says: open a new class and create a function called "adso" and then create an instance of it in another class. This is to vague. I need something specific that leads me step by step in the creation of a small application in which i will be able to learn style by osmosis. Something like this: http://www.functionx.com/vcsharp/applications/payroll.htm Thanks in advance!

I know you are looking for some good online resources but I am going to suggest instead you get a book or two. The two books I suggest are C# How to program, by Deitel and Deitel, the other is Inside C# by Tom Archer and Andrew Whitechapel. I feel that learning from books is a little more orginized and you also always will have it as a refernce that you can look stuff up.

theTroll

Hi,

come to the forum here: http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=97853

ok, so it's early days yet and not much going on, but I have suggested a tutorial in the tutorials section and there is also another tutorial posted recently.

Why not get it straight from the horse's mouth? [wink]
Here's the New to Development section that offers, for example, the Absolute Beginner's Video Series.

The best reference, of course, is to press F1 in Visual Studio and look up what you need in the help files. For example, the answer to your question about a class is pretty much covered in the class (C#) topic (look at the example).

This topic is 4056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.