First to second gen MMO changes that have hurt rather than helped.

Started by
52 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dreddnafious Maelstrom
and now you get to the actual issue with modern MMO's. The avatars are persistent but the world's are not.

Compare UO, EQ1, and then WoW. The worlds are progressively less persistent, and i would argue progressively less compelling.

I think you might have some rose-tinted memories there. Actually, nothing at all ever happened in UO or EQ1 either. The only metaplot advancement came in the forms of separately sold expansions and the occasional patch, just like WoW.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by makeshiftwings
Quote:Original post by Dreddnafious Maelstrom
and now you get to the actual issue with modern MMO's. The avatars are persistent but the world's are not.

Compare UO, EQ1, and then WoW. The worlds are progressively less persistent, and i would argue progressively less compelling.

I think you might have some rose-tinted memories there. Actually, nothing at all ever happened in UO or EQ1 either. The only metaplot advancement came in the forms of separately sold expansions and the occasional patch, just like WoW.

Player created housing.

Player killer gank squads.

Flagged murderers.

Player created content.

that;s to what i was referring.

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I agree: there's nothing inherently better or worse about a linear or non-linear RPG as long as it's realised that they're different beasts; to the point where a good linear RPG like Final Fantasy and a good non-linear RPG like Fallout really shouldn't be considered in the same genre at all (score another point for scrapping the whole "RPG as a genre" meme [smile]).

However that being said I'm still partial to a bit more flexibility being added to linear RPG plot paths. I'm more fond of what I term "multi-linear" stories, where there are a small number of ways to solve each problem. Bioware's recent RPGs are like this; there's usually a "good" and "evil" way to solve each problem. It's essentially in the same vein as a linear RPG, except you have the choice between a few linear paths.

I'm also fond of hybrid approaches that have linear objectives but freeform approaches to solving them. While not an RPG, Thief is my favourite example of this; you're given an objective and set loose in a level, but there usually isn't a single linear path to solving said objective. I think this would work well in RPGs, where you still have milestones or "choke points" where linear storytelling can be used, but the player is offered some freedom in playing style to get to the mandatory story milestones.

rpg's are very broad and if u look rpgs came from fantasy novels kidna sorta

there is always a main char
a plotline in which he has to over come some problem
a freind or group of people he gets to help him in his quest ... it always has the same basic elements as a fantasy novel
My one cent:

The people on this forum do not fall under 'the vast majority' of game players.
The people on this forum generally like the complex, and thought-intense.
The majority however, wish to play as well as possible without reading any instructions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement