[web] XHTML 'class' vs 'id', and why this doesn't work.

Started by
10 comments, last by tstrimp 17 years, 5 months ago
I don't understand why this behavior is occuring with my website; when I change 'class' to 'id' the page gets displayed correctly, but doesn't validate to XHTML due to multiple 'id's of the same reference. However, if I leave it as 'class' the page doesn't display correctly. http://www.Frostwinds.com/Monsters The snake is using 'class' and so its subsequently not being displayed properly, however, everything else uses 'id'. Any ideas why this is occuring?
Advertisement
Well, I can't answer the class vs id question, but for your rounded corners, there is a JS solution that requires no images: http://www.html.it/

The only drawback I've seen to this is that sometimes, the rounded corners do not appear immediately if the pages requires several moments to load.

Edit: Try putting #Content in front of the class attributes. I've found that sometimes class styles don't work when they are inside of an ID tag unless they are preceded by the ID, such as #Content .standardbox
Quote:Original post by Mathachew
Well, I can't answer the class vs id question, but for your rounded corners, there is a JS solution that requires no images: http://www.html.it/

I have no problems using images. And I absolutely hate &#106avascript.

Edit: Try putting #Content in front of the class attributes. I've found that sometimes class styles don't work when they are inside of an ID tag unless they are preceded by the ID, such as #Content .standardbox

I don't understand.

What I meant was, change this

#Content standardbox{	background-color : #e1ebf5;	width : 575px;	margin-left:auto;	margin-right:auto;}

to this

#Content .standardbox{	background-color: #e1ebf5;	width: 575px;	margin: auto;}
It had no effect. =/
Looking at your current code, you have #standardbox listed twice in your CSS. It doesn't seem you are fully understanding how to use classes in CSS.

/* Not a valid CSS Class */standardbox {}/* Valid CSS Class */.standardbox {}/* What you currently have */#standardbox {}/* What you need to have */#Content .standardbox {}

Does it make sense? Classes in CSS are preceded with . while ID's are preceded with #

Not specifying either will have the CSS assume you are applying the style to an HTML tag, such as body, p, div, br, hr, h1, h2, etc.
Either "#Content .standardbox" or just .standardbox should work in your css. I assume you want the latter unless you only want that style applied if it's inside of a #content area.

I tested using both under firefox using the css editor and they both work fine.
Looking at your current code, you have #standardbox listed twice in your CSS. It doesn't seem you are fully understanding how to use classes in CSS.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Does it make sense? Classes in CSS are preceded with . while ID's are preceded with #

Never knew that, thanks. This fixed the problem too. [smile]
ratings++;

wohoo! I'm here to help! [smile]
Some more info on CSS Selectors.
These are some other ways of assigning styles rather then just using elements, classes and ids.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement