YOU SHALL DECIDE, ON MY NEXT FUTURE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by
3 comments, last by zuloon 17 years, 5 months ago
Hey everyone, my name is RSL, and I am planning to make my own game, with C++, and DirectX. I will be using VS2005 .NET Professional Edition to create this game, but I don't know what kind to create. I am still learning DirectX, still a beginner at it, and I don't know triginometry, so 3D will be very hard for me. If I make an RPG, it will be very hard, and it's like you spend 1 year making it, and a person can beat it in only a few days. I was hoping to make something like a shooter, but I'm not that quite sure how. I am learning DirectX (version 8.0) from a book, called Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX, by Jim Adams, published, in, 2002. I would definitely make a shooter, if I could, but, still, I am unsure of this. Although my book teaches me how to make RPG's, I feel that I do not want to make another one, because I already have already made one, it is called World Of Legends (www.rslgames.bravehost.com/projects.html). Anyway, I want to make a game that is fun, fun for the people at GameDev.Net, something that can be memorable, and I will be known well for (and I do NOT mean an MMORPG), well, I don't expect fame, but I want a lot of people to play or at least try out this game, at least 400 people, which will make the development of this game, worth it. Development will probably start in the early 2007, probably either in January, or February, but, I really can't be sure. However, I do want my game to be very good, which is why I am letting you, the GameDev.Net people, decide what kind of game, that I should make. So tell me what kind of game I should make, which is the most popular, which ones are the most fun, the most exciting, the best gameplay, things like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, -RSL
-Ryan
Advertisement
Hockey.
Yeah, well, I'm kind of not making a sports game, and I won't be making a classic, either, so nothing like tetris, pacaman, pong, etc... my current options are either an rpg, or a shooter, or something else, related to that.
-Ryan
What if you merged two genres? Imagine: the tried-and-true, multiplayer-friendly mechanics of a hockey game, complimented by the mass appeal and persistent universe of an MMO. Just think about the possibilities.

On a more serious note, I would say a space ship (or fighter plane) shooter in 2D, either from a side scroller or top-down perspective. With that type of game, the collision detection stuff is usually easy (no platforms or extensive physics), and the art requirements are relatively low (scrolling repeated backgrounds etc.).

An even easier target would be some sort of puzzle game done in 2D, which would likely have an even easier learning curve, simpler graphics requirements, and very little, if any, complex mathematics.

Of course, you could always come up with an original game idea instead.
A sidescrolling 2d MMO based off Super Smash Brothers. (Not the characters, but that you have so many attacks)

That would be heaven.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement