Sign in to follow this  
Adriac

Having trouble figuring this out

Adriac    100
In my game I want mages to be able to use spells from Arcane Fire Ice Earth Air Lightning however I also feel like I could split up the class into six Wizard/Sorceror Pyromancer Hydromancer Geomancer Aeromancer and what? like the others what could I use for lightning? I checked latin and greek words for lightning, that got me nowhere.

Agony    3452
It sounds sorta lame, but electromancer? 'Cause serious, electricus and electrum are what it comes from, and apparently electrum means amber or something. Ambermancer? I dunno, not very self-descriptive.

zuloon    122
Personally, I think:

Pyromancer +
Hydromancer +
Geomancer +
Aeromancer +
= Elementalist

What happens when there's a monster that absorbs fire? The pyromancer is hopeless.

Oh, and electricity isn't really an element. :/

And hyrdo is water, not ice. If someone is playing your game, they'll get confused (in games water=/=ice)

zuloon    122
Quote:
Original post by Adriac
Nah elementalist is Guild War's creation plus that encourages people not to go solo all the time.

But then everyone will just be a sorcerer.

Adriac    100
Is there any point in splitting up the class? This topic could be argued for months and never reach an end due to different preferences, opinions, and/or points of view

Trapper Zoid    1370
I did a quick google search, and "kerauno-" seems to be the Greek prefix for thunder or lightning. "Keraunomancy" means divining the future through thunder. You can also spell it "Ceraunomancy".

wildhalcyon    149
Quote:
Original post by zuloon
Personally, I think:

Pyromancer +
Hydromancer +
Geomancer +
Aeromancer +
= Elementalist

What happens when there's a monster that absorbs fire? The pyromancer is hopeless.

If a monster absorbs fire, then hopefully you have a hydromancer or aeromancer handy to do damage to the beast. Depending on the situation, this isn't a total loss situation. Look at Diablo 2 - if you were playing as a sorceress and you focused exclusively on ice magic, when you encounter a monster immune to ice... well... you panic.

Quote:
Oh, and electricity isn't really an element. :/

Fire isn't really an element either, although "oxygenmancer" doesn't exactly have a nice ring to it. Anything can be a fantasy magic element if the creator of the world wishes it to be so. Again, in Diablo, it WAS an element.

Quote:
And hyrdo is water, not ice. If someone is playing your game, they'll get confused (in games water=/=ice)

As far as water =/= ice, there are games that DO make the assumption that water and ice are one and the same; one commercial game that does this is Secret of Mana.

DJ14IVI3    100
Continuing on what Yvanhoe said, Slavic words are munja (thunder) and grom (lighning). Gromovnik (lightning-shooter, roughly) seems to me like a nice and exotic word (to USAians).

Adriac    100
Quote:
Original post by Yvanhoe
The old norse word is "leiptr" -> Leiptromancer ?

Leiptromancer sounds cool and lemme go back and see what the other one I saw was that I liked

Btw how do i put two quotes in a post?

Adriac    100
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
I did a quick google search, and "kerauno-" seems to be the Greek prefix for thunder or lightning. "Keraunomancy" means divining the future through thunder. You can also spell it "Ceraunomancy".

Keraunomancer is also a good one, since Pyromancer actually means one who uses fire to tell the future anyway I think that could work

So Keraunomancer and Leiptromancer sound good so far? Any more input or words found?

Quote:
Original post by Adriac
Quote:
Original post by Yvanhoe
The old norse word is "leiptr" -> Leiptromancer ?

Leiptromancer sounds cool and lemme go back and see what the other one I saw was that I liked

Btw how do i put two quotes in a post?

Hit 'quote' copy the post, hit quote on a different user, paste your copied quote into the reply box.

Or simply ctrl+c a user's post, and surround it with [ quote] and [ /quote]

Keraunomancer is nice, I'd go with that. (Oh, and Elementalist is a quite old term, not Guild War's creation)

Geomancer is good, and commonly recongized as a magical manipulater of rocks, but if you desire a replace ment, you could use Petramancer. Petra = 'rock' in greek.

Adriac    100
Ok we're almost done here....anyone know a different word for ice since some of you think that hydromancer only refers to water. If someone comes up with a good one I'll take it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

kindjie    290
Quote:
Original post by Adriac
Ok we're almost done here....anyone know a different word for ice since some of you think that hydromancer only refers to water. If someone comes up with a good one I'll take it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Found this on an online English to Latin translator (accuracy unknown).

Cold: gelu, gelidus, frigus, algor, algidus

Ice: glacies

Lightning: levitas

Fire: incendia, ignis, flamma

Water: unda, aqua

Earth: terra, humus

Air: aer

Arcane: ianus, forix, fornicis

Magic: veneficus, magus