Voter Fraud?

Started by
12 comments, last by LessBread 17 years, 5 months ago
Hey all, I'm curious what you all think of my situation. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but something seems quite fishy here. I've been trying to find a place to report this, but haven't had much luck for the last hour other that the general state of Maryland Board of Elections e-mail address (info@elections.state.md.us). I guess I may call tomorrow, but they'll probably be a little busy ... Anyhow here's the e-mail I'm composing with all the details (names obscured). Any advice/opinions?
Quote: Hello, If there is a better place to e-mail my concerns please let me know. I've been unable to find any specific place to report this, but I've received two ballots at my house. This is the second time this has occurred with the same name (previous time was in 2004 I believe). The other person's name is R.K.P. No P. has ever lived at this address as far as I know. I've lived here since 2002; previous owner was C., and before that was J. The only R.P. around this area I've found searching online is listed as deceased from NJ. I'm not sure if this is normal to simply get ballots sent to wrong addresses or if something more serious is wrong here. I wouldn't think it would happen twice. In addition, I've received some election spam at an e-mail address that I use for junk mail that was also addressed to R.P. I've never associated this address in any way with my name (or the name P.) or my home address or anything that should be able to identify my real name. Yet somehow I've recieved this e-mail from "Senator Mikulski" <George@votegeorgejohnson.com> that was addressed to R.P. So two things seem strange to me here: 1) How am I again being mistaken for R.P. at a place that should have no connection to my voter registration information. 2) How did "Senator Mikulski" obtain my e-mail address in the first place. The only way I can think that would be possible would not seem to be very legal (or at least not ethical). My yahoo e-mail account could be connected to my IP address and from that Comcast could tell who I am, but normally people don't have access to that information. Hopefully, there is a logical explanation to all this, but there seems to be too many strange occurrences to not attempt to find out the cause. Below is my contact information to help you resolve this ...
P.S. Do candidates really expect to win votes using phone recordings and e-mail spam? If I vote and see a name I only know as being that annoying spammer, do you think I'm voting for them?
Tadd- WarbleWare
Advertisement
Personally, I doubt that they are going to get many votes this way.
However, I do believe that voter fraud is a big problem with both parties.
(I've heard stories of some pretty dirty dealings from both the DNC and RNC.)

Does anyone know of any non-biased* studies on just how many fraudulent votes tend to get through?

*Obviously a true non-biased study is difficult to find, but I'm talking about anything where at least a reasonable effort was put forth.
--------
Whoisdoingthis.com - my stupid website about warning labels.
Yeah, I agree that this wouldn't seem to be a widespread thing or you'd think we'd hear more about duplicate ballots. But they say every vote counts ...

I've not found much about fraud online (I mean there's lots there, but not alot that can be considered facts like you're looking for). It's one of those "dirty little secret" things that noone official would want to comment on (like software companies not listing bugs).
Tadd- WarbleWare
The Republicans are fraudulently pretending to be the FEC and are calling Democrats, telling them they'll be arrested if they vote.

Quote:
Tim Daly from Clarendon got a call saying that if he votes Tuesday, he will be arrested. A recording of his voicemail can be found online at: www.webbforsenate.com/media/phone_message.wav

The transcript from his voicemail reads:

"This message is for Timothy Daly. This is the Virginia Elections Commission. We've determined you are registered in New York to vote. Therefore, you will not be allowed to cast your vote on Tuesday. If you do show up, you will be charged criminally."

Daly has been registered to vote in Virginia since 1998, and he has voted for the last several cycles with no problem. He has filed a criminal complaint with the Commonwealth's attorney in Arlington.

Unbelievable.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by ChemicalImbalance
Personally, I doubt that they are going to get many votes this way.
However, I do believe that voter fraud is a big problem with both parties.
(I've heard stories of some pretty dirty dealings from both the DNC and RNC.)

That's nonsense! I'd like to hear about voting fraud perpetrated by Democrats in the last 20 years. Whenever this subject comes up someone always tries to say that Democrats are just as guilty of it but they never produce any allegations of specifics let alone evidence. Meanwhile, I can produce tons of specific allegations with plenty of evidence supporting Republican voting fraud. Here's just a taste of it: A Documentary Record of Theft and Fraud in the 2004 Election.

Quote:Original post by ChemicalImbalance
Does anyone know of any non-biased* studies on just how many fraudulent votes tend to get through? *Obviously a true non-biased study is difficult to find, but I'm talking about anything where at least a reasonable effort was put forth.

Start googling!

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
The Republicans are fraudulently pretending to be the FEC and are calling Democrats, telling them they'll be arrested if they vote.

Along those lines... Do Republicans Think Black Voters Are Stupid?

Quote:
There are reports out of Nashville that African Americans are getting phone calls telling them if they voted for Harold Ford Jr. in the August primary, they don't need to vote for him again now.

GOP Launches 'Robocall' Campaign Attack

Quote:
In at least 53 competitive House races, the National Republican Campaign Committee has launched hundreds of thousands of automated telephone calls, known as "robocalls."

Such calls have sparked a handful of complaints to the FCC and underscore the usefulness of the inexpensive -- and sometimes overwhelming -- political tool.
"I think the real point here is that the Republicans are using a desperate campaign tactic that is misleading, at worst violating the law and at best is a page out of Karl Rove's playbook," Psaki said. "They clearly are attempting to mislead voters."

Democrats argued that that's the strategy.

"Because they are getting so many, they are only listening to the first part of the message," said Amy Bonitatibus, a Murphy spokeswoman. "They're hoping to turn off our base. ... These are pretty much dirty tricks by the Republican Party."
In North Carolina's 11th Congressional District, Republicans are going after challenger Heath Shuler, whose campaign said the calls are coming as late as 2:30 a.m.

"Calling people up, making people think it's me when it's actually them -- it's acts of desperation. ... I think it's part of the corruption in Washington," Shuler said.

'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Nov. 6

Quote:
And now our fourth story on the COUNTDOWN tonight, another candid admission, this one from the National Republican Congressional Committee. It is sponsoring robocalls, prerecorded phone calls to potential voters which are, at best, annoying, and, at worst, which constitute harassment and suppression of the vote, and may, in fact, be illegal.

Here is one example from the Sixth Congressional District of Illinois.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello. I‘m calling with information about Tammy Duckworth.

Tammy Duckworth said she would seriously consider repealing part of the recent federal tax cuts. Tammy Duckworth‘s plan could mean higher taxes for married couples, and the death tax would return. And repealing the current child tax credit would mean that the tax credit would get cut in half.

Tammy Duckworth is wrong on taxes and wrong for Illinois.

This call was paid for by the National Republican Congressional Committee and not authorized by any candidate or candidate‘s committee, www.nrcc.org. Thank you for your time.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

OLBERMANN: As you heard, it sounded at first blush like a straightforward negative ad. But the problem is simple. The same call is made repeatedly, sometimes a dozen or more times per day, and the opening line mimics phone messages in favor of the candidate who‘s named, so potential voters feel they might be being harassed, and they hang up before the recording continues, left with the impression that Tammy Duckworth, for example, was badgering them for support.

A Duckworth spokesman says that, quote, “Now when we call, people think we‘ve already made a dozen attempts to contact them. It plays on the fact that people hate these calls and makes them think it‘s us, and not them.”

Multiplying that by about 50 key races around the country reveals the breadth of this latest tactic. A spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee said, quote, “Phone banking is used by campaigns of all stripes. Because these calls are done by cps, it could be some kind of a glitch.”

A glitch. In some cases, reportedly, if you hang up before the call is over, the computer dials you over and over, until you listen to the entire negative voice.

But even if the recipient figures out it is a negative ad, the call may still violate the Do Not Call laws of some states. Sadly, robocalling may pale in comparison to other gems from the bag of dirty tricks, like African American voters in Virginia being told by phone that they may be arrested if they try to vote tomorrow, because they are still registered in another state, or that their polling place has changed. Both claims, of course, patently false.

And back on the subject of Jim Webb and the Virginia ballot, this one's a doosey: Some Voting Machines Chop Off Candidates' Names

Quote:
U.S. Senate candidate James Webb's last name has been cut off on part of the electronic ballot used by voters in Alexandria, Falls Church and Charlottesville because of a computer glitch that also affects other candidates with long names, city officials said yesterday.

James Webb is a long name? What?

FBI looking into possible Va. voter intimidation

Quote:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking into the possibility of voter intimidation in the hard-fought U.S. Senate race between Sen. George Allen, a Republican, and Democratic challenger James Webb, officials told NBC News.

State officials alerted the Justice Department on Tuesday to several complaints of suspicious phone calls to voters who attempted to misdirect or confuse them about election day, Jean Jensen, Secretary of the Virginia State Board of Elections, told NBC’s David Shuster.

Election workers seeing voting problems

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Programming errors and inexperience dealing with electronic voting machines frustrated poll workers in hundreds of precincts early Tuesday, delaying voters in Indiana, Ohio, Miss. and Florida and leaving some with little choice but to use paper ballots instead.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
IMO it's a balancing act.

Republicans do unfair things to get people not to vote for the other side.

Democrats do unfair things to get more people to get more people to vote for their side.

What can you do? If anything is obvious, it's that the idea of a 'fair' election is now an old concept.

You will NEVER see another election of any sort without the media runing stories about voter fraud, people speculating that the election was stolen in one way or another (such as by fixing machines), people asking for an official recount in one way or another.

Basically, never again will you see someone say "yup, our side lost, we tried our hardest, but that was that." There will only be excuses on ways that one side played more unfair than the other which ended up costing that side the election.

That isn't to say that the sides are playing fair, but it's kind of sad to see where democracy has taken us.
Quote:Original post by DrjonesDW3d
Democrats do unfair things to get more people to get more people to vote for their side.

Such as?

Quote:You will NEVER see another election of any sort without the media runing stories about voter fraud, people speculating that the election was stolen in one way or another (such as by fixing machines), people asking for an official recount in one way or another.

It's never been any other way in the first place. Close elections have had accusations of fraud or "unfairness" in one form of the other forever. The only real difference is that today the system can be setup to make it completely impossible to have any level of accountability or reliablity. Older methods of forgery were (relatively) easy to detect or required actual threats against people who could (in theory) choose to do their own thing anyway.
-Mike
IMO it's a balancing act. Republicans do unfair things to get people not to vote for the other side. Democrats do unfair things to get more people to get more people to vote for their side. What can you do? If anything is obvious, it's that the idea of a 'fair' election is now an old concept.

I don't think it's a question of balancing out dirty tricks but of breaking the law.

You will NEVER see another election of any sort without the media runing stories about voter fraud, people speculating that the election was stolen in one way or another (such as by fixing machines), people asking for an official recount in one way or another.

Basically, never again will you see someone say "yup, our side lost, we tried our hardest, but that was that." There will only be excuses on ways that one side played more unfair than the other which ended up costing that side the election.

Perhaps. It depends on whether reforms can be enacted that perform as advertised and that restore the public's trust in elections.

That isn't to say that the sides are playing fair, but it's kind of sad to see where democracy has taken us.

Why blame democracy? Why not blame corruption?
One thing I wish would happen is making voter fraud a treasonable offense. Anyone, regardless of political offiliation, who commits voter fraud is an enemy of democracy and doesn't deserve to walk free and participate in said democracy. One of the things that set off the American Revolution was the feeling that the colonies weren't getting a say in matters like they felt they should and this is exactly the same thing. Some butt-holes thinking their way is right, but not being able to convince others of that fact using calm reasoned argument.

I don't know if Democrats or Republicans or whoever commits voter fraud more. I do know that it has to be ruthlessly opposed by anyone who values freedom and democracy.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement