3D and Animation Programs

Started by
4 comments, last by Emotions06 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi, Im currently working on my game (turn based strategy) and Im currently thinking about which Program I should use to model my spaceships, bases and stuff (in 3D of course). My grafixguy told me that 3D studio max (or 3DS or whatever) is not really a choice for the beginner and that Cinema 4D would work for me, but after checking out amazon.com for books regarding cinema, I realized that nearly everything related to game modeling is about 3DS or Maya, and so I thought it is a bright idea to ask a few people who schould know about their opinion. The two most important should-haves are beginner friendly interface, good lerning stuff available and compatibility with openGL (although I guess I can convert everything into everything somehow). The second thing I´m looking for is a program to do little animations with, i.e. menues unfolding or little things in my interfaces moving, again user friendly and compatible with openGL. I hope you can give me some advice...
Advertisement
Go with 3d max, it is the best choice. Though you might want to know that it is a 1000 dollar investment, because 3d max sells at about 1600 americain. But for modelling stuff it's definatly the most powerfull tool out there. 4d cinema, is what I have costs about 400 dollars, and does about the same thing, but is not as good. There are recorces for 4d cinema how ever like www.c4dcafe.com, which was a whole lot of tutorials and a huge forum community much like this one that is all about 4d cinema. If all you want are space ships go with 4d cinema, but if you want some soldeirs and real characters in you game application pick max. 3d max definatly has some of the best recorces out there for it, and is in my regard the best program out there. It is way better then maya which sells for way more.
Thanks for your opinion... Soldiers or Characters are so far not important, but Im wondering whether it would be better to start with something that gives all opportunities rather than having to learn everything a second time when I go from Cinema to 3DS if I have to eventually....

But how about the menu animations? What program would you recommend there?
I have been learning to use Blender (www.blender.org) with some of my students. It was difficult for me to use at first (I am completely new to 3d modeling) but now, after approx. 12 hours of use flipping back and forth from the documentation, I feel moderately proficient with it, and can create a large range of models (easily including space ships). I chose to use it because it's free, and can export to MD2, and seems to have a lot a LOT more functionality than milk shape. For example, it can unwrap UV meshes itself - I don't think milk shape can. 3DS and Maya were out of the question for me because of price, but honestly I don't know that I would have been able to create anything better with those two programs. That is, I have no desire to become an excellent 3D modeler and I think blender can take me as far as I want to go. If I were trying to make my game a commercial success, I would hire artists.

I don't know about menu animations and such - I do mine programmatically without a visual development tool (and they look like it ;x).
--Riley
It's all a matter of opinion really, and it's one of those subjects that often turn into a holy-flame-war. I personally think Max is terrible in pretty much every way - so it may come as no surprise that i prefer Maya. Xsi is the cheapest of all the pro 3D packages, and it's also one of the easiest to learn (and a lot better than max imo)
While it's totally up to you and alot of different programs are good, IMO, as well as most of the general population, 3DS Max is probably your best bet. If you want to give it a try, you can download a free trial for I believe 30 days here: [aref]http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5972446 [/aref](hope that link works, but doubt it. If not just copy and paste.)

Also a great 3D website for all of your learning needs is: www.3dbuzz.com
If you are just starting out (which you are) you definately should give this website a go. It has video tutorials that walk you through nearly every step you will encounter. In the 3DS Max video tutorial section they have a video tutorial that walks you through making an alien, and since you wanted to make a spacecraft, then maybe you might need an alien? WHo knows? You can always make him and then tweak him to your needs.

Hope that helps and gets you on the right track.

Emotions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement