Help with text based mmo

Started by
10 comments, last by rogierpennink 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi i have been trying to create a mmorpg that is text based(NOT MUD). I have started a web page that is ASP.NET #C, I have my ideas, I know some langs, I don`t know what i need. If some one could walk me through what i need to do plz. I am haveing a hard time with MySQL. [Edited by - LordZack on November 6, 2006 9:27:02 PM]
Advertisement
Tell me what 'mmorpg' stands for, and once you've got your answer written down, think about it for a little bit. Then we can talk.
i played mmorpgs for like 3 years it means massive multiplayer online role-playing game. Know can we talk.
Okay, now did you think about it yet?

In particular, you should think about the following:

- What does "massive" (actually, should be "massively"; it modifies "multiplayer" here) mean? Why would you want to undertake a "massive" project?

- What does "multiplayer" mean? This also adds complexity to the project.

- What does "online" mean? This also adds complexity to the project.

- How do you get from "I have played X for 3 years" to "I want to create something like X"? Have you noticed how much *content* there is in these games? How do you imagine the existing games of this type were made?
i have thought about it and i want to creat it because my favrite one i was banned from because a stupid reason. I love rpg text based. Online means it has to be working all the time.
Quote:Original post by LordZack
i have thought about it and i want to creat it because my favrite one i was banned from because a stupid reason.

I'm not sure how constructive I'm being, but that's an awful reason to want to create a game.

Zahlman is trying to get you to realise some truths before plunging yourself into the pit, but I fear he'll be here a while. Allow me to state some facts:

Games take a long time to create, even the simple ones. RPGs take a notorious amount of work. Multiplayer games take considerably longer than their single-player counterparts. The 'massively' part speaks for itself [rolleyes]. Do not underestimate how much blood and tears will be shed on the way to creating your first respectable game.
Before you can write a game, you'll need skills in a wide range of areas. There are no shortcuts. If you can't program yet, you should get on that and come back in a year or more. The learning curve is steep and there's a huge potential barrier right at the front of it.
Unfortunately, there are zillions of people who want to make games, and far far fewer who have the skills and resources. While this community is an excellent place to get specific help and pointers, asking somebody to walk you through the process is unreasonable.

I don't mean to discourage you, but it looks like you're taking a huge task very lightly. Once you've seriously thought it through, and are prepared to set aside the time and effort, then here's how you may like to proceed:

While ASP and MySQL will be indispensable for the web client, you'll probably want to write the server in a more suitable language. C# can handle it, but you'll need a firm understanding of WinSock and databases. This is on top of a good foundation in game design.

My suggestion is to first write a single-player text-based RPG in C#. You'll probably find that it takes a lot more work than you anticipated. Once you have this under your belt, you've cut the workload down significantly and, if you've written scalable code, you can recycle parts of it for the MMORPG.

Let us know more about your existing skills (and weaknesses) and we can better suggest where to start off.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
*edit: My advice seems to closely follow The Admirals. Sorry I didn't read your comment more fully when responding. ++ for the like-minded answer.

First: When asking for help, give us a bit more of a specific request. We have no idea what past projects you've done and have no idea your actual level of (in)competence and so you can't just expect someone to magically understand what level of help you need. It sounds like you're new to programming in general, though you mention you have a bit of experience with ASP and C#...

You say you're having troubles with MySQL:

http://sqlzoo.net/

That's a good reference, though not a great tutorial. Google is your friend for simple topics like this.

Second thought: Multi User Dungeons and Text-Based Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games are actually rather similar. There become larger hurdles the more intensive your application becomes of course. You'd need more powerful network libs, better memory managment, optimized data storage...

But have you even tried making a single player Text RPG? If not, start there.

Build up from that experience and learn things a step at a time. It sounds like you're trying to bite off entirely too much to handle at once (a typical problem when approaching a large problem with little experience.) I'd suggest starting with a simple map you can walk around and going from there. Add monsters and items, add character stats and the ability to get items. Then add a fighting system...

Basically take it in steps.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
"My suggestion is to first write a single-player text-based RPG in C#. You'll probably find that it takes a lot more work than you anticipated. Once you have this under your belt, you've cut the workload down significantly and, if you've written scalable code, you can recycle parts of it for the MMORPG."

So what do i need?
So what do i need?

You need a C# compiler, or ideally the MSVS 2005 IDE.
You need a game plan. I suggest you conceptualise top-down and implement bottom-up:
Imagine what the game should play like, and break it up into bits. It will probably want, at a minimum, a plot and a text interface to this plot. The plot can be broken down into characters, locations, items, monsters; the interface into conversation dialogues, battles, inventory etc.
Continue to break the pieces down until you know very accurately how each part should look. By the time you start coding, you should have pages and pages of flow diagrams. It is now your job to construct each of these parts, using C# and whatever else suits your needs, then to fit them all together using program flow control.

If you have absolutely no idea where to start, begin with the title screen. If you don't know how to do this then perhaps you should put the RPGs aside for the moment and start smaller.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Hi i have been trying to create a mmorpg that is text based(NOT MUD).

I am intrigued to know why you think a text-based MMORPG is not a MUD. I think you're wrong, anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement