Newton Physics Library Support for XDK

Started by
4 comments, last by PKS123 17 years, 5 months ago
I want to know how to use any Third Pary libraries for development on XBOX using the XDK. By third party libraries I mean Physics or Rendering libraries which do not have an in-built relationship with Microsoft Technologies. I am a Software Engineering student and am working on my final year project. My college has gotten me a license of Gamebryo 1.2 and I am actually trying to integrate it to the Newton Physics library itself (its a small world ) Anyways, I am in the initial stages of my integration and intend to build a FPS Demo using the same for Xbox. But everytime I try compiling the code, I get the following linker error: IM1013: cannot import by name from Newton.dll I looked it up on the net and also int the XDK documentation, but couldn't find anything substantial. The XDK documentation says the following - Import images must be specified by ordinal identification numbers rather than names. Please let me know what should be done in this case. Thanks a lot for your response.....
Advertisement
I take it you are using a version of Newton compiled against the XDK, and not just a Win32 version?

For the classic X-BOX, just link with the newton libs. Yes. :D
You might wanna try the Newton forums, "The unProfessional" There has had it running on X-BOX for quite some time.
Holy crap I started a blog - http://unobvious.typepad.com/
Hmm...I did not have an idea that Newton comes as a special version compiled with XDK. I am using the default Win32 version. I went through the website of Newton but could not find information about any specifically compiled version for XDK.

Could you please let me know where I can find the version you mentioned in your post.
If I remember rightly the XBox XDK doesn't support .dlls, only static .lib libaries.
APE
And you remember right. XBOX supports only static libs.
With that I am giving the solution to my own question for anyone else to use.

If you encounter the "IM1013: cannot import by name from Newton.dll" error, its definitely because you are trying to link with the .lib file in the dll folder.

Instead of that, use the path to the lib_mt folder in the NewtonSDK
Also, make sure that you add NEWTON_USE_LIB to the Preprocessor Definitions in the project properties.

That should get it working.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement