Sign in to follow this  
Dmytry

Programmer's block, and some mathy animations.

Dmytry    1151
I coded this little thingy on prev. weekend, to get out of "programmer's block" (the kind of state when you're bored to death with what you were doing and can't concentrate on it anymore, and worst yet have deadlines.) There is animations made with it (It is using some equations i have found like 4 years ago but didn't explore much back then.) I rendered a few more animations, will add somewhere in evening and possibly even release the source. So, what tiny projects did you make to get out of programmer's block, or did you use something else? [note, by the way: normally i don't spend weekends writing any code or doing math, or the like.] *returns to programming before gdnet gets me into another block. edit: whoops i meant to post it into lounge, but well except for programmer's block it fits there too. [Edited by - Dmytry on November 11, 2006 11:26:25 AM]

Dmytry    1151
Hmm i can view it with VLC and all other players i have just nicely. Also i know that at least one person viewed it OK under windows.

I made the avi file under linux using command
mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:$opt -mf type=png:fps=20 -nosound -o spin3.avi mf://frame_\*.png
which i suppose uses lavc mpeg4 codec, that definately should be supported by VLC.
Maybe you have old version of VLC ?

Dmytry    1151
I have uploaded another movie (more interesting than first two) and the sources.
edit: you may need to refresh page.

[Edited by - Dmytry on November 11, 2006 11:56:22 AM]

Psyian    127
The videos are awesome, but i couldn't find the code. I'm intersested in the equation, but i don't understand the following line:

What is L and D, my maths notations and knowledge are a little rusty.

L=s*D*1/sqrt(Dx2+Dy2+Dz2)
^ ^
| |

Many thanks

Psy

Dmytry    1151
L is just 3d vector, equal to right side of equation. (It is used in equation below. I have experimented with different formulas too hence i wrote it like that and not like Pn+1=Pn+s*D*1/sqrt(Dx2+Dy2+Dz2) )
D is a 3d vector given by first 3 equations. Same as delta in the usual Lorenz attractor.