Sign in to follow this  
de_matt

Strange vector problem

Hya, I'm having some really strange problems with vectors in VC++Express. Has something changed since VC++6.0? Maybe I've got something else wrong somewhere but when I try to copy a D3DXVECTOR3 in to a vector<D3DXVECTOR3> I get this message: c:\documents and settings\matts login\my documents\programming\c++ work\terrain\cboundingbox.cpp(27) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'const D3DXVECTOR3' (or there is no acceptable conversion) The class structure
class CBoundingBox
{
public:

CBoundingBox( const D3DXVECTOR3& v_1 = D3DXVECTOR3(),
				  const D3DXVECTOR3& v_2 = D3DXVECTOR3() )
	{
		blnFirst = true;
		AddPoint( v_1 );
		AddPoint( v_2 );
	}

// gets
	D3DXVECTOR3					GetV1() const { return v1; }
	D3DXVECTOR3					GetV2() const { return v2; }
	D3DXVECTOR3					GetCentre() const { return ( v1 + v2 ) / 2; }
	std::vector<D3DXVECTOR3>	GetCorners() const;

// functions
	void AddPoint( const D3DXVECTOR3& v );
	void Clear();

friend std::ostream& BOUNDINGBOX_Show( std::ostream& out,
										   const CBoundingBox& b );

private:

D3DXVECTOR3 v1, v2;
	bool blnFirst;
};

The function
vector<D3DXVECTOR3>	CBoundingBox::GetCorners()const
{
	vector<D3DXVECTOR3> v[8];
	v[0] = v1;
	v[1] = D3DXVECTOR3( v2.x, v1.y, v1.z );
	v[2] = D3DXVECTOR3( v1.x, v2.y, v1.z );
	v[3] = D3DXVECTOR3( v2.x, v2.y, v1.z );

v[4] = D3DXVECTOR3( v1.x, v1.y, v2.z );
	v[5] = D3DXVECTOR3( v2.x, v1.y, v2.z );
	v[6] = D3DXVECTOR3( v1.x, v2.y, v2.z );
	v[7] = v2;

return v;
}

At every point in the function where I try to set an element of 'v' I get the error message. I'm having similar problems with the '<' and '>' signs in this code: Functin decleration
int D3DMaths_SphereIntersectVolume( const std::vector<D3DXPLANE>& planes, 
									const D3DXVECTOR3& centre, 
									float radious );

Function
// does a sphere intersect a volume
int D3DMaths_SphereIntersectVolume( const vector<D3DXPLANE>& planes, 
									const D3DXVECTOR3& centre, 
									float radious )
{
	bool intersect = false;
	bool CentreInside = true;
	vector<float> t[ planes.size() ];

for( vector<float>::size_type i = 0; i != planes.size(); ++i ) {

//get the dot product of the point with this plane
		t[i] = D3DXPlaneDotCoord( &planes[i], &centre);

// if the point lies beyond the current plane
		if( t[i] > radious ) return D3DMaths_OUTSIDE;

// if the sphere intersects this plane
		if( fabs( t[i] ) < radious ) intersect = true;

if( t[i] > 0 ) CentreInside = false;
	}

if( intersect ) return D3DMaths_INTERSECT;

return D3DMaths_INSIDE;
}

The error message for that is: c:\documents and settings\matts login\my documents\programming\c++ work\terrain\d3dmaths.cpp(102) : error C2784: 'bool std::operator >(const std::vector<_Ty,_Alloc> &,const std::vector<_Ty,_Alloc> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'const std::vector<_Ty,_Alloc> &' from 'int' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\vector(1285) : see declaration of 'std::operator >' Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Matt

inside CBoundingBox::GetCorners() method, I think you would want

vector<D3DXVECTOR3> v(8); // as passing 8 for the constructor instead of [] declaring it as an array

Yes, things have definitely changed from VC6, with the current compiler being much more standards compliant.

I'm just guessing here, but doesn't

vector<D3DXVECTOR3> v[8];

give you an array of 8 vector<D3DXVECTOR3>'s, rather than one vector<D3DXVECTOR3> with 8 elements in it? Do you want v(8) instead?

I'm not quite sure what's up with the operator= issue, but I'd suggest experimenting with non-vector assignment from the const data type and try to narrow down the problem some.

Quote:

c:\documents and settings\matts login\my documents\programming\c++ work\terrain\cboundingbox.cpp(27) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'const D3DXVECTOR3' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

As previously mentioned, v/ in your function is an array of vectors, not a vector with eight elements. The expression: v[n] produces a result that is of type std::vector<D3DXVECTOR3>. An expression of the form std::vector<T> = T is meaningless and disallowed, thus the error (to spell it out, the line v[0] = v1; and those that follow attempt to assign a D3DXVECTOR3 to a std::vector<D3DXVECTOR>, which is of course impossible).

Quote:

c:\documents and settings\matts login\my documents\programming\c++ work\terrain\d3dmaths.cpp(102) : error C2784: 'bool std::operator >(const std::vector<_Ty,_Alloc> &,const std::vector<_Ty,_Alloc> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'const std::vector<_Ty,_Alloc> &' from 'int'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\vector(1285) : see declaration of 'std::operator >'

Same problem. The declaration syntax T t[n] creates an array of T, even if T is a vector. In this case you're attemping to compare a vector and an integer, a nonsensical operation.

To create a std::vector instance with a pre-determined size, you want to use the parameterized constructor supplied by std::vector, as in:

std::vector< T > t(n);

Wow I can't believe I did that. I've haven't been doing any programming for a while.

Thanks for spotting it so quickly.

Matt