Please help!

Started by
8 comments, last by Graphics_Student 17 years, 5 months ago
I need to code a game in ASP for project for college and I have no clue how to do it!! Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!!
Advertisement
1) Start by reading the For Beginners forum FAQ.

2) Whoever assigned it to you probably wouldn't have assigned it if you didn't already have all the tools/knowledge with which to accomplish the task. So what specifically is your problem? no idea for a game? no idea how to code it (in which case go talk to the professor b/c the assignment makes no sense)? specific coding problem? something else? In other words you're going to have to ask a better question.

-me
Quote:Ok, firstly, I have not done ASP code at all, the lecturer who assigned the project to us is from another campus. I have done very very basic VB.Net programming, but our game needs to run in a web browser. We have only done HTML and XHTML code so far.

So it is up to us, to find out how to do this project, I have till the 24th of November to do it, i got the assignment yesterday.

Can you help or do you know of any information that can help me?

Thanks

oic. Given the really small amount of time you're going to want to pick something really small. Some kind of grid game: click the adjacent cells to move the bug, have the goal be to collect food or something.

Does it have to be in ASP? I find PHP a hell of a lot easier to work with. Either way if you already know HTML and a bit of programming it should be really easy to pick up. All the web scripting languages are basically ways to produce HTML.

Basically the languages like ASP/PHP/JSP allow you to write code wrapping the HTML. So you just need to track the data somehow (normally this is via a database but that's probably too much for your limited time frame; in your case you could just have some static data (i.e. make the assumption that only one person is using it at a time) ).

You should start by looking for "ASP tutorial" on the web and just start with the basics there.

Meanwhile, think of how you'd design the logic in C or whatever non-web language you already know.

I'm assuming that he's given you a programming environment to work with: i.e. he's set up a web server for you and all that jazz so you can just start writing ASP or whatever code without having to set something up yourself?

-me
Ur idea is exactly what we have to code! It has to be a grid with 10x10 blocks whcih have to be 50pixels each, we have to include a database too. Our played has to collect special items and there also have to enemies that can kill him. Our lecturer seems to think ASP will be easier, but we can use any laguage we want to. I just dont know which one to go with because it has to run in a web browser.

I have done some basic VB.Net code, i also know HTML and XHTML.

Have you got any ideas tho?

G_S
Ur idea is exactly what we have to code! It has to be a grid with 10x10 blocks whcih have to be 50pixels each, we have to include a database too. Our played has to collect special items and there also have to enemies that can kill him. Our lecturer seems to think ASP will be easier, but we can use any laguage we want to. I just dont know which one to go with because it has to run in a web browser.

I have done some basic VB.Net code, i also know HTML and XHTML.

Have you got any ideas tho?

G_S
So it's the responsibility of a web server to make ASP and PHP and JSP work. Basically the server runs the code which produces HTML which is displayed in the user's browser. the browser doesn't actually "run" the ASP code.

If the instructor has set up a server with the ability to parse and run ASP code and it already has a database set up that you can use then it's definitely going to be easier to use ASP.

I'm not sure what kind of ideas you need:

1) take 1.5 weeks to learn ASP and databases (you can google for tutorials on the web). Check with your instructor which database he has set up for you and how to connect with the web server and such.

2) Now that you know how the languages work, start working on your game

-me

p.s. given your apparent lack of knowledge on these topics the instructor is kind of an asshole. To complete this project you're going to need to be spending 4-6 hours a day from now till the 24th in order to complete this. If he hasn't set up a server and database for you he should be assassinated; learning how to set that stuff up took me a full week, and at the time i'd already been programming and using unix for 3 years.
Quote:Original post by Palidine
So it's the responsibility of a web server to make ASP and PHP and JSP work. Basically the server runs the code which produces HTML which is displayed in the user's browser. the browser doesn't actually "run" the ASP code.

If the instructor has set up a server with the ability to parse and run ASP code and it already has a database set up that you can use then it's definitely going to be easier to use ASP.

1) take 1.5 weeks to learn ASP and databases (you can google for tutorials on the web). Check with your instructor which database he has set up for you and how to connect with the web server and such.

-me

p.s. given your apparent lack of knowledge on these topics the instructor is kind of an asshole. To complete this project you're going to need to be spending 4-6 hours a day from now till the 24th in order to complete this. If he hasn't set up a server and database for you he should be assassinated.

Well, there is no server or database set up for us, and the database we have to set up ourselves.

-me

p.s. given your apparent lack of knowledge on these topics the instructor is kind of an asshole. To complete this project you're going to need to be spending 4-6 hours a day from now till the 24th in order to complete this. If he hasn't set up a server and database for you he should be assassinated; learning how to set that stuff up took me a full week, and at the time i'd already been programming and using unix for 3 years.

So technically you're saying im screwed LOL
Quote:Original post by Graphics_Student

well... it's doable. you're just going to have a LOT of late nights between now and the deadline. You should grab a couple people from your class and work on getting a database set up together.

I'd suggest MySQL as your database: it's relatively easy to set up. you can find it at:
http://dev.mysql.com/ (the download is on the right-hand nav bar

there is documentation for setup and such at:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc

For general SQL reference i like this site:
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Not sure where a good ASP reference is. But if you want to go PHP you can get it at (http://php.net/). However, to use it you'll need to wade through the setup of Apache which is a webserver (http://www.apache.org/). The PHP site has docs for how to get PHP working with apache.

all in all just that is a bitchload of work. So, like i say, the best option might be to get a few peeps together from your class and split it up. Have one team work on getting apache/php set up, have another team working on getting MySQL set up. Then combine your knowledge so everyone can have both installed and working.

PHP site also has ample docs for connecting to a MySQL database and using it.

but yea. what's annoying about this assignment is that you're going to have to spend as much time just learning to set up a webserver/database as you will actually coding so it's not a good assignment for a CS class.

-me

Quote:Original post by Graphics_Student

well... it's doable. you're just going to have a LOT of late nights between now and the deadline. You should grab a couple people from your class and work on getting a database set up together.

I'd suggest MySQL as your database: it's relatively easy to set up. you can find it at:
http://dev.mysql.com/ (the download is on the right-hand nav bar

there is documentation for setup and such at:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc

For general SQL reference i like this site:
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Not sure where a good ASP reference is. But if you want to go PHP you can get it at (http://php.net/). However, to use it you'll need to wade through the setup of Apache which is a webserver (http://www.apache.org/). The PHP site has docs for how to get PHP working with apache.

all in all just that is a bitchload of work. So, like i say, the best option might be to get a few peeps together from your class and split it up. Have one team work on getting apache/php set up, have another team working on getting MySQL set up. Then combine your knowledge so everyone can have both installed and working.

PHP site also has ample docs for connecting to a MySQL database and using it.

but yea. what's annoying about this assignment is that you're going to have to spend as much time just learning to set up a webserver/database as you will actually coding so it's not a good assignment for a CS class.

-me

Hey thanks a lot, this is going to help a lot!!! If i actually get it working i'll post the link here to my website and ppl can go and play it LOL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement