Wanting to Learn Graphics Programming

Started by
4 comments, last by GamerSg 17 years, 5 months ago
Any references to learn how to program 3d graphics? I am interested in models, animation, and terrain primarily. Will appreciate your help.
Advertisement
Sure.

Game development in 3D is actually not difficult. You just have to keep track of a z-axis in addition to x and y. You might also have to deal with "3d angles" which some call "Quaternions".

As for technically how to get started, try out OGRE, its a free/open source library for 3D programming. Grab the Stonehenge demo from their site to see what OGRE can do. If you like it download their SDK and read some tutorials.
I am a newcomer to 3D and must say the tutorials were easy to follow, and helped me understand 3D a lot better, they didn't just give my technical details of the OGRE platform.

It might also be beneficial to try and make your own 3D graphics. Keep track of xyz coords in your program and use SDL or something that does 2D graphics. It is hard, and you (probably) won't get something good looking or even useful. Nonetheless I did this and it thought me about the inner workings of 3D systems and makes working with OGRE (or any 3D system) feel more natural.

Good luck!
Many thanks to ya man and good luck!
hmm i downloaded it but nothing came up to install or run it
Ok i need some serious help here....is looking at Stonehenge in every different view supposed to teach me how to program graphics? How do i get to the actual thing?
I suggest you download the free Redbook from the Resources link above and read it. It will teach you the real fundamentals as well as OpenGL.

Ogre is pretty high level, and you might not really learn how it works underneath.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement