Mixing 1st Person, Oblivion combat systerm (sorta) and an MMORPG

Started by
11 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 17 years, 5 months ago
Now I know many of you hate MMORPGs if so I'd prefer you didn't flame them on here. Now to the point....I had an idea for my game....put the players in 1st person to increase immersion and also have the mouse click combat system like in Bethesda Softwork's Oblivion. My idea is to left click to attack, hold to power it up and use something to determine the direction you attack and how you attack. Right click to attack with offhand or block with it, also magical items held in your offhand are used with this button, when dual wieldin you block by holding both buttons down. Like in Oblivion if someone blocks your attack you are slightly stunned for a couple seconds. Also there will be a button to attempt to evade/dodge an attack. In the top left hand corner of the screen would be your health, mana/energy bar, and your XP till next level bar. You will have a bar with 10 icons for spells/shouts/other nonattack abilities with a number corresponding to each, you have two different bars so you can set which one you are using with F1 and F2 and using 1-10 at the top of the keyboard to use them. Any additions to the idea, disagreements, praise, or criticisms are welcome JUST NO FLAMING MMORPGs lol this isn't about if you like them or not, its about if this would be good to add to my game.
Advertisement
Thats actually how my game would work if it was 3d. Yet instead i would have an "auto-dodge" based on your dodge/block skill. Sounds weird actually, but if u were to press a dodge button, then it wouldnt be a "Skill" it would be just a button to dodge, like strafeing.
DarkTech Software.
yeah i realized that, auto dodge at all, or even a dodge button are out of the picture, to avoid attack you will have to jump back or to the side.

Also using Oblivion combat features allows you to attack anyone, however one restriction I will place is that you cannot kill someone a certain amount of levels lower than you or in towns at all, in towns you CAN attack NPCs that do not respawn to make it more interesting, the only way to bring a dead NPC shop owner or civilian to life is have a priest/dark priest resurrect them plus guards will hunt you down and kill or capture you.
But if its an MMO, i dont agree with the npc market, i like player-based economy, so store owners do not matter, and i like the competative nature of selling items.
DarkTech Software.
Btw anyone looking for more info on my game go to "I want and need your opinions"

Problem with a player market is what about common loot you get while adventuring? Like in WoW you kill a cougar you may get a broken fang? what would you do with that except sell it to a merchant?

However who would buy broken fangs? I think that the way you would get loot off of something would depend on what it is, what your professions are etc. Why would a zebra carry a greatsword on it? Why would a merchant buy a broken fang you got off that last wolf you killed?

Player specific stands to show and sell items can be set up in city. NPC merchants are required but will not buy "junk" items. Most loot you get comes from what you can do to extract loot. Such as hunting as one of the professions allows the player to collect meat from an animal with a knife. Skinning allows them to get the pelt of the animal, etc.
This is one of the most common ideas for games nowadays, the MMORPG+FPS idea.

It is a GREAT idea! Even despite the various consistency problems.

Hopefully the community has some ideas...

General thread for MMOFPSRPG:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=422977
uh...are you advertising your thread on mine or just being nonunderstandable?
I am saying that there are two distinct issues here, that of specific games like yours, and that of the genre. I apologize for the poor netiquette, I shouldn't advertise like that.

What kind of license are you using for your game? I am curious as to what people prefer. GPL is nice for collaboration, but gives away your secrets and invites hacks.
As far as the player market, what if players could create shopkeepers (or maybe only merchants, idk). They could set buy/sell prices for specific items or for item classes, then leave the shopkeeper unattended, returning only to check what activity has transpired.
Also, what do you think of inflation / Moore's law in MMOs. They have interesting effects on our real economy. (Adriac sorry again for being a jerk).
Its ok

Now, I don't know what your talking about for a license, this is my first game and I am actually looking to put a team together quite soon. if you could explain this that would be helpful.

By inflation I think you mean prices changing due to supply/demand ratios?
Hate to say it but there is really nothing original about this idea (I mean even taking Oblivion you can go to first person mode if you want to). I'd like to see an Oblivion MMO but the idea is largely unfeasible unless distinct changes are made.

More to the point, you should NOT be attempting a 3D MMORPG for your first game.

Still it's good you are thinking about game mechanics more now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement