Sounds for games

Started by
6 comments, last by Miszou 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I will be working on A game AKA A MMORPG Stands for massivly Multi player online role playing game. I need sounds for the characters is there any program I can use to make the voices
Advertisement
If you are wanting voices for your characters, then you'll need software and hardware that allows you to record and mix audio. There are many that do this well. Cakewalk Sonar Home Edition is fairly cheap (about $150-200) and will be able to do all of this for you. Just make sure you have a good mic and a good soundcard. Otherwise it can make things a real pain for you.

There are many other things involved in this process- so feel free to PM if needed.

Best of luck!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I just have a question Ummm what else Do i need to kno
I'm not sure you're going to be successful if that's all the knowledge you can demonstrate about creating a game, but what the heck.

Like nsmadsen said, you need software and hardware to record your audio.

Again, like ns said, you need a microphone, such as the $99 Shure SM-58, and a soundcard - any soundcard will work, but quality and price tend to be positively related - to get the voices into your computer.

You then need the software to actually record it. There's a giant list of software of all abilities and prices in this thread: Music Software, etc.. I'd recommend the "Audio and Effects" section of that thread for you, and Audacity in particular, because it's free and simple. The thread even has some suggested sound cards (mostly high end).

You can record your own voice or someone else's voice(s). Have them read a script.

The more specifics you can give us, the better. If you have a vision that you want to share, do so! Otherwise, there isn't much more general information we can give you.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Um wherei s that
Is this link good for a sound editor http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/ Umm if not pleasee tell ,me ty
It seems that you are starting from square one (no offense) so I would highly recommend that you read several books.

1) Aaron Marks: The Complete Guide to Game Audio (roughly 40 bucks)

2) The Fat Man on Game Audio: Tasty Morsels of Sonic Goodness (roughly 35 bucks)

Aaron Marks is more straight forward and stuffed full with great information: everything from how to negiotiate, to contracts to working with programs. It also includes many interviews with the industry's leading composers and sound designers.

The Fat Man's book (his real name is George Sanger) is good to read, but more entertaining than educational. I still recommend it because it goes into the history of general MIDI being made standard and he does have some great things to say.

Poking around this site, and others, is another good way to learn how to do this job well.

This is an extremely competitive field, so you'll need to know your hardware, software and craft extremely well. For example, in a standard given day I work on a Mac, Logic 6, Protools, PC, Sonar 4, Reason 3 and use many, many plugins.

The better you know all of these programs, the more versitile you become.

You also need to have very strong compositional talent, and producing skills. Depending on your age (not sure) and your living situation, you might be able to attend college for one of those two year tech degrees. I actually took a different route and studied music education (bach. degree) and music performance (masters degree) but always studied and practiced this field on the side.

With hard work, a steady work ethic, and a little time- you can make this happen!!! It just takes faith in yourself. (Start humming the national anthem now). :)

I hope that helps.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Quote:Original post by tauren12
Is this link good for a sound editor http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/ Umm if not pleasee tell ,me ty

Looks good to me for basic voice recording. Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net /) is another free one that can do that sort of thing. I'm guessing you're not looking for super high quality.
------------------------------Electronica, Jazz Fusion, Orchestral, and everything in between:www.soundclick.com/silverlineproductions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement