The Myth of the MMOFPSRPG?

Started by
47 comments, last by Saluk 17 years, 4 months ago
Guild Wars only had an MMO lobby server. The economy was persistent and that was about it. It's like if Diablo 2 had it's lobby server where you could walk around, and when you left town you were loaded into your own map. The only thing that made Guild Wars stick out a lot was that and the large scale PVP ability, which is comparable to WoW's.

Has anyone heard how Huxley handles their 120 max player thing. Is it town based or something? I haven't heard much.
Advertisement
Guild Wars still has low network traffic in their instanced zones; they use the standard click-and-wait of MMORPG's for their combat, so they can afford to (presumably) have multiple instances running on each server. FPS's usually make the players host their own servers, and usually each instance takes most of the bandwidth and resources of a single server. So I think it would be prohibitively expensive to have an MMOFPS with actual fast twitch gameplay using the Guild Wars setup; you'd need to have a huge ratio of servers to players, far more than what most MMO's have.
I cannot imagine why I would even want to play such a game. I can't even name a good FPSRPG.
Programming since 1995.
To the above poster have you played PlanetSide? That game gives the whole idea of what an MMOFPSRPG is supposed to be like. Large amounts of tactics and such. It's just fun, since even though there's like 1000 people in the game you have your own outfit of friends and can mess around. The persistent world really pulls you into it. I mean there's some people in the game you just run away from because you know your gonna die. Good memories.
Eve Online is a decent MMO, at least for the length of the trial period. I was tempted to subscribe, but I felt a lack in player-player interaction that a more real-time battle system might provide... even if it simply _felt_ more real-time.
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
If... I'll use Way Walker, you, and Trapper Zoid again.

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

.... who the hell wants to be abused ... 1 who wants me to use them , if ur saying hooker of something for this they are getting something out of it its a give -give RELATIONship lol( notice i caped relation in the word).... me and my cornyness dawg but anyways

i was giving this a thought and me and u are on the same page
and what one person said is true

on GW me and my buddy used to argue who was infront of the other .... a lil childish i admit homie, but on our screens we would be in front, we would see it a different way... now ....

u take teh idea of a battle rpgshooter these games feature rooms that u go into to fight like mini servers, kinda like... umm gunzonline ( www.gunzonline.com ), warrock( warrock.net) or bf2

and u give it a world... u feel me... meaning that u will have to make ur server stream or give the same info or whatever process u use ... to both computers there can be NO DIFFERNCE AT ALL and i think its possible , all things are possible ( pigs can fly if u give them wings using stem cells proven in the reserch... punk)

and another thing u will have to do is give the lower lvls plenty a little slack in killing the highlvls
( the reason people like fps's so much is because all players are equal by nature except by skill that they developed)

ur idea might come out before u know it look at webzens huxley i think thats what ur looking for ... its probly gonna change mmo's and fps' forever ... but if u can make a free game like this PLZ DO

... just take some of what i said into consideration dawg.
-azeime
ww2 online counts i think
I think perhaps you need a good definition of what RPG is because there is a lot of disagreement in this thread and throughout the industry. For example, some will claim that Diablo 1 and 2 are RPGs (and they may be, depending upon your definition). No one disputes that Baldur's Gate is a RPG. But some here have called Planetside a RPG. So the question begs, what is a RPG?
"Iacta alea est" - Julius Caesar"So far as I know, I've never been defeated by a 'powerful over-arching potentiality' before"
actualy rpg is kinda a broad term... role playing game, well in halo u play the role of masterchief ANY game can be considered roleplaying but ... i think the best is loosely defined by u either creat or are assigned charecters or charecter and u make them strong , give them skills, lvl them up.... like final fantasies ... u play the role or roles of the group of people ,
ff12 is the perfect definition of a role playing game ...u choose the path they go in, its almost perfect homie, but i digress

something u have to worry about in a game like what ur talking about is how to differenciat the newer player from the older player BUT also make the gap between them passable , games like these should give the older more experienced player more skills and stuff BUT make the game more based on skill than lvl
I alwaysthought that you could make a MMOFPSRPG if you did the following:

Scenario: WW2 Vs Aliens (Yes, everbody is human, and now we're fighting Aliens on a alternative scenario)

You get to pick wich country you're from, with realistic Military Gear from that country.

There are 5 "Jobs":

Fighter: The guy that uses Dual Pistols, Pistols, SMG and such
Medic: The guy that can heal and revive other in the field, and uses Pistols
Supplier: The guy that can give ammo and health packs to other, and uses grenade rifles
Sniper: Uses sniper rifles and has cloaking
Demolition ops: Can use Flametrhower and Bazookas

You can move on 3rd person or 1st person at anytime

Its WW2, so you have huge open fields and they are justified

You can Roll, you can take cover, you can crawl and duck.

Your shots are sended on "packages" of damage (a String of gunfire rather than shot-by-shot sended to the server)

You die with few shots (most enemies also)

Wouldnt that amek a decent MMOFPSRPG?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement