Sign in to follow this  
Adriac

How possible is First-Person MMORPG?

I have planned for a first person combat system for my MMORPG but have heard it would be quite difficult. What I need is public opinion from good programmer on how possible the first-person combat system with a mouse like in Oblivion is for a MMO.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wasn't this doen already? I think the MMORPG Planetside featured FPS style combat with vehicals, etc.

Yah planetside is still the only true MMOFPS (I won't debate it). It's very possible, however for one person it is near impossible. That's as much as I'll say.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not Possible outside of Commercial gamedev.

Switching to a 2d game increases your chances, but not by much.

Although plantside was First person (I actually played it alot). I thought that it was claimed to be a RTS game for some reason, but I think planetside is exactly what an MMOFPS would be.

The trouble with this is that you need really fast response times to do real-time combat. A combat system is not that hard to do (though it's still not trivial, obviously), but keeping pings below 200 in an MMO is.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Not Possible outside of Commercial gamedev.

Switching to a 2d game increases your chances, but not by much.

How do you do a First Person Shooter as 2D ????? Isnt that more like a shooting gallery game?? Animated Billboards ??? (worse, static Billboards?)

3D:
Possibly a existing 3D engine could be used. The additional animations (skinned skeletons or keyframes) though, is a substantial task.

Yes, but you better have some powerful servers running.

Also, a very high connection. I recommend you buy a server in a data center and just use that for a bit, that'll probably be the best way to server it for the moment. Don't even think about self servering for 20+ people, unless you've got a T3 line and a 4 processor machine...

Other than the servering, it would be a bit easier to make the client side part of things. Lots of pre-made engines, plus less statistical programming.

I would recommend writing a 2D, tiled, single player RPG in the language you are going to use for the MMOFPSRPG. When you get a map, a player, monsters, items, and a basic combat system, then reevaluate your project.

Next try making a basic 3D FPS.

If you do those two things you will probably have a better idea of which parts of your idea are possible/impossible, hard/easy, fun/fair.

And if you still want to continue on the game, you will have some great code base.

Alternatively you could try forking an existing open source online fps into an MMO. This is EXTREMELY difficult (but no more than doing it from scratch!). FOr an example look at Eigenstern, a WIP RPG conversion of the amazing open source Saurbraten fps.

Whatever you do, just make sure you learn as much as you can from the project. It is all about increasing your skill level (programming, design, art, communication, testing)

Judging from your previous post history, you're new to game development.

I would start out with a smaller-scale game right now, and then work your way up. In a few years you should be better placed to evaluate the plausibility of your concept.

So I would need excellent coding and excellent servers, the basic making of the game wouldnt be difficult in other words but for the servers if they arent good enough the playability for players would be odd. The actual combat is somewhat like in Oblivion's with addons and different ways of doing things but along the basic structure.

So I need good servers to make first person combat so that players can be up to speed without lag making it harder for them to fight.

If you'd like the feel of an FPS, but would dislike the hassle it would bring, you could always try a Top-Down Shooter instead. They're simpler to program, and they have the same gameplay mechanics (essentially); it's all up to you though, feel free to dive into your multiplayer-awesome-mmorpg-fps-thing.

Quote:
Original post by Adriac
the basic making of the game wouldnt be difficult in other words but for the servers if they arent good enough the playability for players would be odd.

you need to program more. Your underestimating the whole idea. Making just an FPS is hard. Then adding seamless worlds is near impossible for some people.

The servers required would need to be very fast (unless it's a pure sniper game, as I've said before). Server side simulation with players is hard but managing large sections of a world requires a network of servers (or some really good coding).

Off-Topic - I recommend making a top down game.

There is one, Huxley from webzen using unreal3 engine. From the screenshot it looks as good as Gear of War.Check out the trailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=1774

Quote:
Original post by ccanan
Enemy Territory : Quake Wars
http://www.enemyterritory.com/
I think this is what you want!

and wheres the MMO? ETQW is an online FPS.

Quote:
Original post by Adriac
So I would need excellent coding and excellent servers, the basic making of the game wouldnt be difficult

Wrong. So wrong.

This is the hardest part of all. Purchasing hardware is just pure money. The development of what you propose would take a talented fifty man team approximately three years, working full-time, for above-industry-average pay scales.

MMORPGs are absolutely not trivial. What you're proposing is an extra layer of complexity on top of the already blatantly non-deterministic development curve of your average MMORPG.

You need way more experience before you can even tackle something like this. I don't think I'd be up to even sitting down and planning out all the components of the game on paper.