• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Adriac

How possible is First-Person MMORPG?

This topic is 4267 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have planned for a first person combat system for my MMORPG but have heard it would be quite difficult. What I need is public opinion from good programmer on how possible the first-person combat system with a mouse like in Oblivion is for a MMO.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Wasn't this doen already? I think the MMORPG Planetside featured FPS style combat with vehicals, etc.

Yah planetside is still the only true MMOFPS (I won't debate it). It's very possible, however for one person it is near impossible. That's as much as I'll say.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not Possible outside of Commercial gamedev.

Switching to a 2d game increases your chances, but not by much.

Although plantside was First person (I actually played it alot). I thought that it was claimed to be a RTS game for some reason, but I think planetside is exactly what an MMOFPS would be.

The trouble with this is that you need really fast response times to do real-time combat. A combat system is not that hard to do (though it's still not trivial, obviously), but keeping pings below 200 in an MMO is.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Not Possible outside of Commercial gamedev.

Switching to a 2d game increases your chances, but not by much.

How do you do a First Person Shooter as 2D ????? Isnt that more like a shooting gallery game?? Animated Billboards ??? (worse, static Billboards?)

3D:
Possibly a existing 3D engine could be used. The additional animations (skinned skeletons or keyframes) though, is a substantial task.

Yes, but you better have some powerful servers running.

Also, a very high connection. I recommend you buy a server in a data center and just use that for a bit, that'll probably be the best way to server it for the moment. Don't even think about self servering for 20+ people, unless you've got a T3 line and a 4 processor machine...

Other than the servering, it would be a bit easier to make the client side part of things. Lots of pre-made engines, plus less statistical programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!