2006 Senate Predictions

Started by
33 comments, last by SticksandStones 17 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by LessBread
CNN hasn't called either of those Senate seats yet.

TN

Republican Corker 853,905 51%
Democratic Ford, Jr. 794,967 48%
90% precincts reporting - Updated: 12:11 a.m. ET

MO

Republican Talent(Incumbent) 642,204 50%
Democratic McCaskill 589,664 46%
62% precincts reporting - Updated: 12:12 a.m. ET

True, but if you look at the precincts reporting Missouri is gone. They just don't want to jump the gun.
Same with Tennessee. He can't get 80%.

And Tester looks like he is ahead now. The precint numbers I got looked like Democratic turnout was lower than it now appears. There must have been some heavy late voting. That isn't typical in Montana.
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
Advertisement
Fords been 60k votes behind since they have about 45% reporting and there's only about 200k more votes to count. He would have to get about 80% of the outstanding votes. He isn't even running that high in Shelby County, i.e. Memphis where he is from. He lost.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
The local news said that the AP called it for Corker. The CNN web page reports 97% of precincts reporting.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
The local news said that the AP called it for Corker. The CNN web page reports 97% of precincts reporting.

CNN is saying the same.

Bah.

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I think its cool Ford got so close. Tennessee is a red, red state. And for a Democrat who's black, such a strong showing is immpressive. I thought Ford ran a very good campaign, but those late polls looked awful. Losing by 2-3% is really something to be proud of.
Not really a surprise, but Washington is voting mostly for the democrats. Maria Cantwell won her second term for Senate.
This is weird, McCaskill is getting higher than expected results in more independant areas. It looks like Missouri is now leaning in her favor afer all. Odd because Democratic turnout seemed too low to allow for this.
Montana is still close, leaning very slightly for Tester.
Webb has doubled his lead in Virginia. Its now 6,000 votes.

Even with Tennessee gone, the Dems still have a shot at the senate after all.
Looking at these numbers its close to a 50-50 shot.
As of 2am EST Things look better now than they did before the polls opened.
McCaskill just won Missouri.

Ha ha, I'm an idiot. I read though the precinct data wrong. I ended up counting a red district twice, and missing one of the absolute bluest.

Sorry Less, you were right about CNN not calling it. They weren't being careful, they just had the real data [ignore]
Prediction: Now that the Dems have some actual power, millions of Americans are going to rediscover the word "accountability". I haven't heard it from our Republican and non-partisan friends, who were previously so enamored of the word, since Bush took office. I am positive that will change starting today.
It did look grim for McCaskill at first, but in Missouri, they tend to count the votes in the smaller, rural counties first, which typically lean republican. Afterwards, they count St. Louis, and Kansas City, which typically vote democratic. That counting method really made the election seem more dramatic, being that McCaskill was behind for a good portion of the evening, then suddenly rallying back and moving ahead for the win.
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement