Sign in to follow this  
Instigator

c++ enum and macros

Instigator    150
I understand things like: #define max(x,y) (x > y ? x : y) but what the heck does this mean? I'm completely lost
Quote:
#define ARGB(a,r,g,b) ((DWORD(a)<<24) + (DWORD(r)<<16) + (DWORD(g)<<8) + DWORD(b)) .. .. // and another here #define GETB(col) ((col) & 0xFF)
I think it's the double '<<' that's confusing the hell out of me. Any help would be appreciated. The other question I had is about enums. I learned that if you have for instance, "enum {Joe, Moe, Cole}" that anytime you use for instance, Joe, it would get replaced by 0.. Moe by 1 and Cole by 2. However, when it comes to a big enum list like this how do you manage this?
Quote:
enum hgeHwndState { HGE_HWND = 26, // int window handle: read only HGE_HWNDPARENT = 27, // int parent win handle (default: 0) HGEHWNDSTATE_FORCE_DWORD = 0x7FFFFFFF };
This is where I'm completely lost. Would anyone be willing to explain to me the more advanced part of macros and enum? Or at least post a link to as where you learned this stuff (most of the site I've searched don't get this detailed). Thanks for your time, and your help would be well appreciated.

dave    2187
In this case << is a bitwise shifting operator.

For the ARGB macro, it is taking each parameter and shifting them into a different order, moving the a to the first 8 bits then the r to the second 8 bits etc.

Regarding the enum, i'm not sure what you mean by "how do you manage this". Can you explain please?

Hope that helps,

Dave

JohnBolton    1372
"<<" and ">>" are bit-wise shift operators. x << n returns the value of x shifted left n bits and is equivalent to x * 2n. x >> n returns the value of x shifted right n bits and is equivalent to x / 2n. For example 5 << 2 == 20 (00000101 -> 00010100) and 48 >> 3 == 6 (00110000 -> 000000110).

Enumeration constants can be given specific values. The default is to start at 0 and increase by 1 for each one. Your example could have also been written,
    enum
{
Moe = 1,
Joe = 0,
Cole = 2
}
The values can be in any order, they don't have to be sequential and can even be duplicated. The enumeraton you are asking about simply has 3 values: 26, 27, and 0x7FFFFFFF.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry didn't sign in .. it's me The OP "Instigator"

the enums part I get now .. can't believe it was that easy. However, as for the macros I'm still kind of lost on the bitwise stuff. Do you guys know of a good website that can explain this? I'm not saying your examples were bad. It's just that I need a more detailed explanation.

jyk    2094
Quote:
Original post by Instigator
but what the heck does this mean? I'm completely lost
Quote:

#define ARGB(a,r,g,b) ((DWORD(a)<<24) + (DWORD(r)<<16) + (DWORD(g)<<8) + DWORD(b))
There are two things going on here: the bit twiddling, and the use of macros.

The first step is to forget you ever saw '#define...' (at least in this context). Instead, we'll write a function:
// Typed into post (no guarantee of correctness):

DWORD ARGB(DWORD a, DWORD r, DWORD g, DWORD b) {
return (a << 24) + (r << 16) + (g << 8) + b;
}
As for the bit manipulation, there's probably no really short explanation, so I'd suggest re-reading the previous posts and perhaps doing some research online, and then posting back if you have specific questions.