Sign in to follow this  
hisDudeness

declaring object arrays with new in c++

hisDudeness    199
C++ : I have 2 objects, say Mouse and Coordinate: class Coordinate { int x, y; Coordinate(int ex, int why) { x = ex, y = why; }; }; class Mouse { Coordinate locations; // ... }; And so the Mouse object contains an array (the size of which can only be determined at runtime) of Coordinate objects. Inside the Mouse constructor I have:
[source lang=cpp]
Mouse::Mouse(int maxCoords)
{
    locations = new Coordinate[maxCoords];
    // ...
}

I am using Dev-C++ to compile this. I am getting an error in my Mouse constructor, complaining that there is "no matching function for call to Coordinate::Coordinate." I think that the problem may stem from the fact that when I declare the Coordinate array ("locations") inside my Mouse constructor I never initialize the individual Coordinate objects... Regardless of whether my theory is right, how could I fix this???

hisDudeness    199
load_bitmap_file,

Thanks for the hint. I added a default constructor and the related errors went away. But now there's a whole new can of worms I can't understand. For simplicity, here is my exact code (it is a program that navigates a mouse through a maze).

Mouse::Mouse()
{
col = row = -1;
}

MazeStack::MazeStack(int maxSteps)
{
maxMoves = maxSteps;
numCoords = 0;
stackArray = new Mouse[maxMoves];
oldCoords = new Mouse[maxMoves];
top = -1;

// Initialize the oldCoords array so it contains values at every index.
Mouse temp(-1, -1);
for(int i = 0; i < maxMoves; i++)
oldCoords[i] = temp;
}

The following code generates the following error:
[B]In constructor MazeStack::MazeStack(int) there is no match for 'operator='...
[/B]

Please don't tell me I have to write operator overloads for new and/or assignment....?!?