Sign in to follow this  
DJ14IVI3

Setting up a team

Two of my friends from University and I have decided to start a small amateur game development team, mostly for fun and educational purposes. I have the most experience in game development, and even that is very little - I'm merely halfway through making my first real game (a top-down turn based RPG with rudimentary graphics). So we decided that I'll be the project coordinator. We agreed that we should start with a Pong clone, mainly to learn the basics of working in a team. As I'm the only one who worked with SDL (we agreed we'll use SDL) I thought that I ought to do interface and graphics and let them do collision detection, AI and scorekeeping. Is this a good way to distribute tasks? What problems should I expect, and what can I do to avoid them? Any useful tips?

Heya, Im interested in your team. I am very interested in starting from ground up to get the experiance to make some nifty games. Gotta start somewhere, I know basic C++. My school thought it be wise to switch to C#, so I am gradually going through our 1600p textbook to get the jist of C#. You guys going to be doing this all in c++, or do you guys fiddle with C#? Anyways, send me a reply if you could use my help.

CrazyJeep

Giving each person the area he's most skilled in doesn't sound like a bad task distribution to me. One thing you should keep in mind though is how these parts work together. Your friend may create a robust, fast collision system, but if it doesn't work together with your rendering code and your other friends gamecode without a hefty week(s) of refactoring, you've missed something. Decide how each part interfaces with the others and make sure everyone sticks to these rules. It may not prevent all trouble, but it's a start. :)

Oh, and communicate with each other. Good for learning each others tricks and also for knowing what the other is up to. And every programmer needs some help now and then. :)