Sign in to follow this  
Mathachew

[web] Dedicated or beefed up package?

Mathachew    352
I currently have my own dedicated server. One of the biggest reasons I got the server was that a friend and I were going to go in half when he left his previous employer, but suddenly, he disappeared just as I was getting the server and finally got back in touch with him a few weeks later, in which he changed his mind. I paid for the first year on the dedicated server, so I'm stuck with it until next July (I think). My current predicament is, do I want to continue to pay what I'm paying now , or do I want to go with some type of developer package from a reliable web host and simply add domains to the site as I get them? Obviously, the cheapest and most profitable route is going with the second option, as I would bring in good profit from the work I'm doing now and will do in the future. There are some cons to this, however. I wouldn't have access to PostgreSQL, which is what I build my sites on. I doubt I'd be able to host my own game server with a shared hosting plan. I also don't think I'd be able to run iroffer, an IRC file sharing bot; the files being shared are legitimate files and are not being illegally distributed. The problem might be that the host may prohibit this type of activity to occur. I was looking at some plans over at DreamHost, which have some really amazing deals. My friend told me this host was repeated recommended here. What I like most about DreamHost is that you can get a unique IP for $3/month and the storage and bandwidth base limits are high and increase every week, not to mention that you can have an unlimited number of domains and sub domains. Also included are a plethora of email accounts and a good number of shell accounts. The positives are well and good. From what I can see, DreamHost is reliable. One more note: they automatically backup your site for free. Nice. The positive to having a dedicated server is that, well, I have my own server. I can put whatever I want on it. I have no restrictions or limitations. However, it's not cheap with most hosts offering no less than $99/month for a dedicated server. Then if you want to have a good backup solution, that's an additional $15-30/month, not including any other special additions you may want to make such as a RAM upgrade, added HD, etc. etc., all of which are probably charged monthly (it is with my current server's host). So I'm debating on whether I want to go ahead with transitioning to a much smaller scale package. I'm currently bringing in just enough to cover the dedicated server costs. Well, actually I'm not, with several of my clients being behind on initial and monthly costs. I'm in the process of getting a site designed for a new client, and was considering taking the money they pay me to create a new account with DreamHost, which I would more than cover two years of hosting service. Any thoughts?

KGodwin    174
You probably should have shopped around for a dedicated server provider, since unless your running Windows there are quite a few reputable hosts such as HiVelocity.com (or the 'new' CoreNetworks.net) which offer Unix servers for much less than $100/month.

Just be aware with people like DreamHost is that they are heavily overselling and if you get anywhere close to the 'limit' of the package you'll most likely be canceled on some trumped up reason. I only use those places for remote backups myself.

Sander    1332
If the choice is between the two you mentioned, go for dedicated. It looks like you've got enough stuff that you cannot run on a regular shared host. Plus, I've heared some bad things about dreamhost. Some swear by it, but others have had issues and had bad support.