Generating Ambient Occlusion Information for Terrain ...

Started by
2 comments, last by Enrico 17 years, 5 months ago
Redently in the Gamedev "image of the day" section one author showcased an amazing terrain simulation. He had one notable feature which I dont have and that is what he described as "ambient occlusion information". (link) Does anyone know of any methods of calculating this information and/or implementation details. thanks.
Advertisement
As I know of there is 3 types of algorithms.

When the world is static, as precomputed light maps.

When objects are rigid, look up Ambient Occlusion Fields

When objects are non-rigid, look up Dynamic Ambient Occlusion and Indirect Lighting
Vterrain.org is a great site for terrain related info.

The Lighting and Shadows section has some info.
Specifically Fast Horizon Mapping Computation at All Points of a Terrain with Visibility and Shading Applications

-Michael g.
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
Redently in the Gamedev "image of the day" section one author showcased an amazing terrain simulation. He had one notable feature which I dont have and that is what he described as "ambient occlusion information". (link)

Does anyone know of any methods of calculating this information and/or implementation details.

thanks.

Spherical Harmonic Lighting should give some really good results. You can rotate the light source and incorporate the complete lighting environment (Sky, etc.). Try this paper for details and implementation: Spherical Harmonic Lighting: The Gritty Details
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement