SM4.0 and OpenGL

Started by
22 comments, last by wahoodra 17 years, 5 months ago
I seen now the info on the Geforce 8800 is out and I noticed that one can now have 128 textures per pass vs. 16? So I am assuming this would relieve the need for texture atlases? What is everyone elses thoughts on SM4.0 support and OpenGL... Let the ideas flow.
Advertisement
I have a feeling that in the last months OpenGL isn't developing forward. Since Khronos took it in their hand, there are no life signs. So a forecast is a bit difficult.

And as someone on this forum said that glsl is further than DX9 HLSL(i can't deny nor i can agree, cause i have not enough knowledge of HLSL), cause smX.X is bound to DX. But if it so than we can only hope that the new references will come out as soon as possible.
-----"Master! Apprentice! Heartborne, 7th Seeker Warrior! Disciple! In me the Wishmaster..." Wishmaster - Nightwish
theres a thread at www.opengl.org about the new extensions coming to opengl stuff like geometry shaders + texture arrays, texture buffers etc. (no need to have vista to play with them as well :) )
though theres not gonna be much info out until the geforce8800 comes out (which is this month i believe, so info should be soon forthcoming)
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
I seen now the info on the Geforce 8800 is out and I noticed that one can now have 128 textures per pass vs. 16?

The G80 has 128 stream processors, which does not mean, you can use 128 textures. It has 64 texture units, which provide 32 pixels per clock 2xAF filtered. I am not sure, if that means you can use 32 textures now...

Quote:So I am assuming this would relieve the need for texture atlases? What is everyone elses thoughts on SM4.0 support and OpenGL... Let the ideas flow.

NVidias launch demos are written in OpenGL, so we can expect the extensions are already done :)
--
Sweet I just ordered me a BFG 8800GTX! WOOT let you know this weekend or Monday how it runs! :)
Quote:Original post by Enrico

NVidias launch demos are written in OpenGL, so we can expect the extensions are already done :)

Reasons why I love Nvidia.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
On of the beautiful things about OpenGL is that it can be extended by vendors and other parties directly, which allows them to expose new functionality at their whim, rather than with the next DirectX release.

As for the "no progress" comment someone made about GL now that Khronos has taken the reigns, I think thats to be expected. Khronos has already made public their general plans to alter the API pretty radically in GL 3.0. Their basic plan is to strip out all the unnecesary fluff from the hardware/runtime layer leaving only a very lightweight, do-it-the-fastest-way-only, aimed at modern 3D hardware core of OpenGL. They'll move a compatibility layer with old GL as more of a software library - entirely seperate from the core GL functionality. This is the same approach that the very successful OpenGL|ES has taken, and the same general approach that Microsoft has taken with Direct3D 10.

It'll take some time, but GL 3 will be worth the wait IMHO.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Just confirmed these added ext to the 8800 drivers release 95

gl_ext_framebuffer_blit
gl_ext_framebuffer_multisample
gl_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage
wgl_nv_GPU_AFFINITY
The following was posted on the OGL forum:

ttp://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=014831

Quote:

GL_ES
GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats
GL_EXT_Cg_shader
GL_EXT_bindable_uniform
GL_EXT_depth_buffer_float
GL_EXT_draw_buffers2
GL_EXT_draw_instanced
GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
GL_EXT_geometry_shader4
GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters
GL_EXT_gpu_shader4
GL_EXT_packed_float
GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
GL_EXT_texture_array
GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object
GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_EXT_texture_integer
GL_EXT_texture_sRGB
GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent
GL_EXT_transform_feedback
GL_EXT_ycbcr_422
GL_NVX_conditional_render
GL_NV_depth_buffer_float
GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_ex
GL_NV_geometry_shader4
GL_NV_gpu_program4
GL_NV_gpu_shader4
GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object
GL_NV_texture_compression_latc
GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc
GL_NV_transform_feedback
GL_OES_conditional_query
WGL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed_float
WGL_NV_gpu_affinity

And from 'cass' (Mgr. at Nvidia):
Quote:
One of the traditional NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions docs is being readied and should be on developer.nvidia.com Real Soon Now.

We'll be following up with Cg 2.0 support for the new programmability shortly thereafter.

Quote:
One of the traditional NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions docs is being readied and should be on developer.nvidia.com Real Soon Now.

We'll be following up with Cg 2.0 support for the new programmability shortly thereafter.

Hmmm, Cg is available from within DX as well as OGL, right? (Never really played with Cg, so not sure)

Does this mean we'll get geometry shaders and everything in DX9 by that route?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement