Window Game Programming

Started by
3 comments, last by Kwizatz 17 years, 5 months ago
I have been programming for many years (that is scripting languages, php, js) and have recently decided to go up to more advanced languages (C, C++). I went through C and decided to go to C++ to do some windows programming. I got the console all down, so when I went into window programming it was like I got ran over by a bus. But Im taking it slowly and hopefully soon I'll get it. But my question is this: I want to make a unix simulator for windows. That is a mock unix enviroment that is completly fake. But instead of it being a simple console aplication, I want to make it for windows specifically. So A window would come up and you would have a command line ready for action. However all I read about game programming are in the graphical side of it. I don't want to draw shapes, but to mimic the unix commandline. How would I go about doing that? Or what books should I read to help me do that. ps: The windows book im reading out of is for windows 98. So... Im kinda outdated. Thank you.
Advertisement
A Unix emulator is quite different from a game.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Why? [headshake]
I thought I would get replies like this. What im trying to say is that I want to mock the unix enviroment so that it could be used for in a game (think of BS hacker if you must). This is what I am striving for. I would just want to know if there is any information regarding programming that I can learn how to do this.
Quote:Original post by Idfy
I thought I would get replies like this. What im trying to say is that I want to mock the unix enviroment so that it could be used for in a game (think of BS hacker if you must). This is what I am striving for. I would just want to know if there is any information regarding programming that I can learn how to do this.

Well, see, this is why you should try to provide as much information as possible regarding your question, as for what you want to do, you don't really need to emulate the whole OS, I am pretty sure that embedding or writing a shell would do just fine, you can look at the code for the BASH shell among others to find out how things are done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement