Looking to set up a team of beginners

Started by
13 comments, last by JasonBlochowiak 17 years, 5 months ago
To help us all learn I'm making an MMORPG called Fate of Athorok. It is a game with first person combat in an MMORPG. Through the project we can learn more about specific things we do and if the game turns out good we may even sell it in retail stores. I am a game designer, we could use a couple more. We need all the people and talent we can get to make it a success or even just to make it. Please post on here or PM me for more info or if youre interested in joining the team. We will learn and maybe make a successful game.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Adriac
To help us all learn

It won't.

Quote:I'm making an MMORPG

No, you aren't. Not with any measure of success.

Quote:called Fate of Athorok. It is a game with first person combat in an MMORPG. Through the project we can learn more about specific things we do and if the game turns out good we may even sell it in retail stores.

Not going to happen. The game won't turn out at all, certainly not with this level of planning.

Quote:I am a game designer,

No, you aren't. Not in a sense that *means* anything, anyway. A real designer would have a real plan. You know, a *design*?

Quote:we could use a couple more. We need all the people and talent we can get to make it a success or even just to make it.

So you're looking for beginners, why, exactly?

Oh, and BTW, even if this seemed to be the tiniest bit legitimate, I would still have to tell you you're in the wrong forum. This kind of stuff goes in Help Wanted, where incidentally they have a template/checklist for the initial posts that would remind you of a *lot* of things you need to think about and *clearly* haven't.

Sorry.
Although Zahlman put it a bit harshly, he is very right. I once saw the beauty in making the next best-selling MMORPG too, but quickly turned away from that after seeing how much time/planning it takes to even create a simple 2D networked shooter. It really won't hurt if you aim to start with a much smaller project, especially if you are looking to form a 'beginning' team. By immediately starting with such a huge project as an MMORPG it is very doubtful that you will learn anything other than how to take a lot of frustration.

It may not be what you wish to hear, but Zahlman's comments do benefit you in the long run ;)
First off I do have a design, this is what I decided to start with as to not give the whole thing away right off the bat. Second I want beginners to help them learn. Third I think you're flaming MMORPGs, if you don't like em you don't havta tell the world. Also I came here because beginners are more likely to be here than the Help Wanted forum.
Third I think you're flaming MMORPGs, if you don't like em you don't havta tell the world.

He's not flaming MMORPG's at all - you just missed his point. MMORPG's take lots of people, many years, and millions of dollars to write - the chance of a team of beginners making on is exactly nill. Start off making a space invaders clone, and then see how far you get. If your team actually manages to finish it then try something 3D and so on. Starting with an MMORPG is like saying "I want to learn to read so I'm going to start by reading acienct chinese texts on scrolls in dim light while someone is beating me over the heat with a baseball bat". Basically you won't learn anything :P
He's VERY right. I'm not a professional game designer of course, likewise, I would NEVER attempt a MMO of any type. Good luck elsewhere bud.

Patrick
First off I do have a design, this is what I decided to start with as to not give the whole thing away right off the bat.

Ideas are a dime a dozen. You don't lose anything by giving it away. On the other hand, it's hard enough to get people interested in your idea to begin with, so you are more likely to find people if you post very detailed information about the project.

Why? Why does every beginner team want to do an mmorgp? I understand that some beginners may be ignorant of the complexity of one (heck, I used to think C++ had a drawimage command); but after 1.2592 x 10 ^ 29250 posts of beginner teams wanting to start an mmorpg, I'd think the word would get out...

But on the flip side, I'm sure that your design is good, Adriac, but only from a gameplay perspective. Do you know how to code C++? If so, think about how you'd code all of that, draw the art, and maintain some uber servers.

I'd recommend that instead, you try to form a beginner team to make something a bit more complicated than a space shooter; although theres nothing wrong with starting with one :). How about a simple top down shooter... oh wait, that is essentially a space shooter... ah well; you really should try something not as complex as a mmorpg.

Now I don't mean this with any spite, but if you think about it, I'm sure that you'd agree with us/me that a bunch of beginners coding an mmorpg is really just not feasible.
Actually I know nothing of programming, I am looking to find something to teach me graphics programming but I primarily just like designing games. I would agree that a beginner team designing an MMO would be farfetched but look at it this way.

Group of people start off easy with some basic things like interface, maps, maybe some animation. They finish the game which turns out to be really nice with the gameplay elements all working right etc. Beta version comes and people like it, then we work on the MMO coding after the game is complete and more is learned during it.
Mandatory link.

Read that, and the postmortems it links to.

Long story short, your dream MMORPG isn't going to happen. At least, not with a team of beginners working with each other over the internet. The only thing that this would result in is lots of discouraged beginners.

Zahlman speaks truth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement