Visual Studio "Orcas" release?

Started by
4 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 5 months ago
Now that Vista and Ofice 2007 have gone gold, together with .net 3.0, avalon etc. etc. Is it safely to assume, that Orcas will be too released "soon", say, six months from now? I am still using VS.net 2003, is there a point to upgrade now to 2005 or would it be wiser to wait for Orcas? Any information on the release date? Btw. Orcas will be tied to the new 3.0 right? There won't be a newer .net version (4.0) coming with it, or?
Advertisement
You should just upgrade to VS2005 now since it's not coming out until 2008 according to this link.
You can download the latest version at the above link if you want to check it out though it's a pretty big download like 2GB.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
According to that link, one user wants to buy it in 2008. That was not an official date.
I'm not supposed to say anything, so I'll just leave it at this: don't hold your breath.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
I'm not supposed to say anything, so I'll just leave it at this: don't hold your breath.
[lol] You tease... (although sounds reasonable from what I've seen [wink])

Why not grab the free 'Express Editions' of VS2005? You have to be doing pretty serious professional development to genuinely REQUIRE the features of Pro or TS editions. Although, having said that, EE's don't support 64bit compile targets, do they? So maybe there are some things missing.

Anyway, point was that you could grab VS'05 to get an up-to-date compiler (might even be able to retrofit the v8 compilers into the 2003 IDE?) for little to no investment and then decide whether its worth buying a full version or wait until Orcas comes around...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

If anyone has actually tried the October CTP has anyone had any luck actually logging into the virtual image since the VPC Credentials:
Username: Administrator Password: P2ssw0rd
given in the release notes isn't working for me!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement