how to make a installation setup file?

Started by
7 comments, last by Stani R 17 years, 5 months ago
hi, i'm new to this forum. i'm creating a game and i want to distribute it for free. for downloading i wish to render the visitors a installation /setup file. i want to know how to make a installation file ? is there any tool for creating them ? i'm using allegro library and is there any function in itself to make a installtion file ? i want to give them a installation file which installs the game and also the uninstall file. pl help me...
Regards, Viju
Advertisement
Check out NSIS.

Other options include Clickteam Install Creator and InstallShield among many others.

- Jason Astle-Adams

hi,

i would like to know the best and easy one to handle?

pl suggest me....
Regards, Viju
Quote:Original post by hotgamer
i would like to know the best and easy one to handle?

NSIS is probably one of the best (highly customizable, supports plug-ins (in case you need something special), script based, small setup file overhead, there are also some GUI tools (free and commercial) for generating the install scripts).

I also heard that InnoSetup is pretty easy (but i don't know anything about it's features).
My suggestion is NSIS, but you'll have to try it out yourself to see if you're happy with it.

- Jason Astle-Adams

dont the Microsoft compilers come with thier own setup file creator?
you can check out wix.sourceforge.net too.
As an alternative, I mention that my own home-rolled Setup program for my app is only c. 500 lines of code. However, it doesn't include Uninstall, doesn't hook into Windows Add/Remove Programs, lacks a cool "wizard" UI, and I admit there was some learning curve involved (packing installed files into the Setup exe, registering file types, adding program to Start Menu). But, I have complete control over it.
I'll chime in for InnoSetup. From what I've seen of it, it's comparable to NSIS, but while NSIS displays a "made with NSIS" line on every dialog, InnoSetup doesn't. That decided it for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement