Sign in to follow this  
shiftyninja

Online cooperative puzzle solving game being developed for J.P. - Input Required!

I'm working along side 3 other awesome programmers at my college in Klamath Falls, Oregon. We are designing an online cooperative puzzle solving game. This may just sound like another game which isn't going anywhere so we post and get ideas from people online...well you're right, except we know what we are doing and what we want to do. What we are looking for on this forum is creative criticism about how we are doing on this project. Many of the projects being done (not games) are being done for a company or for a special purpose, but since we are going at this alone and don't have a "customer/company" that we propose ideas to, we would appreciate some input from the awesome members on gamedev.net who have some experience in game development or would like to have some input. Thanks and please mention this thread to others! Sincerely, Jason P.S. Our website is http://www.longshotentertainment.com (it is also in the development process...so don't be too turned away)

Sounds like a very good idea! Here's my toughts about it:

First, you will need to account that solving a puzzle can be very frustrating if you have allready done your part, but you have to just wait for the other player to solve his part. Well, but this kind of game dinamics should be pretty obvious.

I mean, there are puzzles that can only be solved by one person. A Hubick's Cube, for instance, will never have several people trying to solve, because every action you take over the puzzle will have consequences over the entire rest of the puzzle. A Sudoku, however, even if each part of it is connected to the rest, you can have several people trying to solve - you just have to make shure that they don't make any mistakes, or this could hurt the others too. But if you make a jigsaw puzzle, the more people you have, the faster the puzzle will be completed. I think that this kind of things would be something very interesting to be studied.

You may also want to take a look on the math stuff... I began to learn that on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bridges_of_K%C3%B6nigsberg

Cooperative game play in general is always a good idea. The implimentation of it, however, is up for debate. I'd need to know more details of exactly how you foresee your game playing out before I could provide any solid feedback.

PS. The site looks good, but it seems to have no content?