Sign in to follow this  
Merlino

Class / Pointers Question

Hi, I have a question about pointers to classes: It's kind of hard for me to explain so here's an example I've made up: I have 3 classes: Instruments, Window, and Main. Instruments is a class that stores info about the time (say time = time elapsed since program startup); Window is a class that stores the info of one window and it needs acces to the value time of the Instruments class. Main is a class that stores pointers to all the other classes.. it's the root class.
class Instruments
{
    public:
    long int time;
    short mouseX;
}

class Window
{
   public:
   short x;
   short y;
   short width;
   shory height;
   void Animate();
}

class main
{
   public:
   Instruments * instr;
   Window * window;
   main() {allocate memory for the class pointers};
}

Now, here is my problem. How do I get the window class to acces the time value of the Instruments class? I thought about 2 solutions: 1- replace the Animate() function by Animate(long int time) and, when using the function like this: window->Animate(instr->time). But this can get kind of messy if, in this case, the window class has to acces members from lots of other classes. 2- create a pointer to Instruments class in the Window class and acces the values this way. In this case I don't want to create another Instruments object but make the pointer to point the same thing as the main pointer. In code this would equal to:
class Window
{
   public:
   short x;
   short y;
   short width;
   shory height;
   Instruments * instr;
   void Animate(); { acces instr->time ... }
}

main::main()
{
window = new Window;
instr = new instr;
window->instr = this->instr;
}

I tried this in my program but it does not seem to work because if i modify the values through main->instr->time, and then acces it through main->window->instr->time it is not the same. Did I do something wrong or is it normal? If so, is there any other way to do this ? Thanks in advance, Merlino.

Argh, I'm sooo stupid.. actually it works. SORRY !!

But anyway, is "case 2" a good way of structuring classes if using class pointers?

Thanks, and again, sorry.