Write my own engine or use someone else's

Started by
14 comments, last by AlbertoT 17 years, 5 months ago
I need some advice. I've been working on a game for six months now, I've got a decent renderer and a 3D map editor written but I'm sick of working on all this boring graphics stuff when I could be making something interactive(fun). Is it time to switch over to Torque or XNA and just reuse their engine? In other words, how do you know it's time to quit reinventing the wheel?
Advertisement
Well, that depends. Do you want to make an engine, or do you want to make a game? It is my experience that pretty much nobody manages to do both.
I do :D
Sounds like u do not like 3d programming.

Well while i really admire people who are
good at 3d engines, i am more interested
in other thing like you said "something interactive".

If you are tired already after 6 monthes,
3d is probably not for you.

use a free 3d engine, it is probably better than
you will ever do. (unless u somehow find yourself
in love with 3d engine again and put alot of time
into it.)
Yeah, and I would suggest Irrlicht, Ogre3D or Panda3D
Apart from Irrlicht and Ogre3D, there's also the Nebula Device, my all-time favorite place to steal cool ideas from :)

You should move on to an engine, there's no need to reinvent the wheel - especially if you don't want to.
@lightbringer:

Nebula Device works only with c++?
Last time I looked, yes. It's scriptable in Tcl and Python and a number of other languages, but the engine itself is in C++. I suppose the really determined could possibly write a binding for a different language - I think at some point there was an applet running TND - but that kind of defeats the purpose of moving away from writing your own engine doesn't it :D
Yeah man,

I definitely agree w/what most ppl are saying. I spent about 3 years learning/redesigning the old 3D engine wheel. Writing renderers,3D-Studio exporters ( from scratch ), and other stuff that wound up just being a waste of time. Now, I focus on actual logic/gameplay, and rely on engine code to provide that "black-box" functionality. In the end, you will be much more productive,and actually be able to finish projects...

Peace,
ahayweh
you want to finish a game: use third party engine
you want to help others finish a game: roll your own
you like "systems-level / framework" plubing: roll your own
i suppose only very few indie programmers manage to finish both the engine and the game if both are of a reasonable size. of course, there are exceptions to this (even in this thread).

personally, i'm a framework kind of guy so i like writing infrastructure code for others to use. for me it's a lot more fun writing code for others to use. i wouldn't succeed in building on top of third party engines. the finishing touches on the code aren't my strength. i think this guides the decision of whether to "roll your own".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement