Write my own engine or use someone else's

Started by
14 comments, last by AlbertoT 17 years, 5 months ago
what's a good 3d engine for AllegroGL? I'm working on an RPG/RTS game and don't really want to code the engine.
Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens!And now you all must die!Mew mew mew, mew mew mew mew!And now you all must die!-Pete Abrams
Advertisement
If you want to build an actual game than I would highly recommend the Nebula Device engine. It is a commercial game engine used many times over for building games, and has everything you could possibly need. They even open sourced the Mangalore game framework sitting on top of the engine which gives you a component oriented game framework if you want to use it.

I really can't think of a single engine out there that is free or low cost that can even touch the Nebula Device. The only issue is that since it is a commercial engine the learning curve can be higher, and also on another note the documentation/tutorials really suck.
So how much does Nebula Device cost?
Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens!And now you all must die!Mew mew mew, mew mew mew mew!And now you all must die!-Pete Abrams
Nebula is free.
You should be careful selecting your engine. An engine is not just graphics and you will be spending a lot of time with it so choose carefully. If you are willing to pay some money for the engine then I'd suggest Torque or C4. In case you have MacOS maybe the Unity engine.

For me the best free alternatives are Irrlitch or Panda but you may differ. Take your time because you wil not only spend money but lots of time learning to use the engine.

Luck!
Guimo

The happy days of all in one game programmers are over
Nowadays you need an engine
Unfortunatly the "perfect " game engine does not exist
However it is easier to learn and use 2 or 3 engines rather than developing your own
My favourite are

Blitz3D for beginners
3D Game Studio for serious hobbyest programmers
C4 for advanced users
The happy days of all in one game programmers are over
Nowadays you need an engine
Unfortunatly the "perfect " game engine does not exist
However it is easier to learn and use 2 or 3 engines rather than developing your own
My favourite are

Blitz3D for beginners
3D Game Studio for serious hobbyest programmers
C4 for advanced users

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement