Sign in to follow this  
tauren12

Newbie needs HELP

Hello, I just recently came to this forum I just wanted to ask if anyone could list a good openGL compiler That I dont have to installed a bunch of stuff A free opengl compiler would be good ALSO.... Can someone list some books on like game + Voice editing OpenGl books And maby some c++ Books That should cover it for a game

There is no such thing as an OpenGL compiler. Compilers translate programming language code into machine language. OpenGL is not a language; it's a library that's available for many languages.

To write OpenGL code, you choose your favorite language (like C++), and include in your program function calls to OpenGL. Then you compile this with your langauge's compiler.

If you need a C++ compiler, you could download Microsoft's for free. It comes with a great code editor and debugger whcih make coding nicer.

Link please

And do you know like did you ever watch a cartoon and saythe rugrats it behind the seen and u see this girl tlking like a kid that what I want something similar too Where it can Change the voice

Quote:
Original post by tauren12
Link please

Linky

Quote:
And do you know like did you ever watch a cartoon and saythe rugrats it behind the seen and u see this girl tlking like a kid that what I want something similar too Where it can Change the voice

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, if you don't know C++, there are actually easier language you could use with OpenGL like Python or Java. Not to say C++ is a bad idea, but if you find it to confusing, keep in mind there are alternatives.

Dude, you are not making sense. We cannot help you if you won't spend enough time to tell us what your actual problems are, in a way that we can understand without reading your mind. (You will find that compilers have this problem to an even greater extent, so you might as well practise clarity on humans.) Just calm down and take more than ten seconds to write your posts, ok? Spellcheck, but more to the point, think about what you are actually saying. Vista will include a thought-reading protocol, but not everybody will install it; so until market penetration reaches the 50% level, you'll need to be clear in what you want.

And, seriously. "Create a MMORPG"? That's your idea? Well, I have an idea too; I want to create a space empire with FTL-traveling ships that can, like, blow up planets and stuff. And of course I would be Emperor. Can you help me?

Sorry... Basiclly what I need is a level designers design levels or something where I can make levels in game Like look at this picture http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2333/wowscrnshot0711062109312yc.jpg Looks around him I need to make maps and stuff Make characters spells that they will do when They hit a button I know alot If you cannot help me please tell me or relocate me to a good college where I could find out

I also wanna mention I dont think The bigger games really use openGL I did as google search for "OpenGL games" It showed me crappy games if they dont use that what do they use?

Sorry, but making something like WoW with one person is just impossible. You need to ask yourself what you want. If you are really committed, you can spend the years it will take to learn programming, networking and graphics, and join an indy team with a reasonable chance of making an MMORPG (probably not WoW quality). If you just want to change some things about your favorite games, you should probably just make a mod.

If you're new to game development, then take it easy. Start with something simple as a tetris clone and work your way up. Starting work on a big, complex and labour-intensive project straight away isn't going to get you anywhere right now.

For your reference: I've got 6+ years experience with (FPS) level-design, 3+ years of programming, and some modelling/texture art experience. I'm working on a 2D platform game, relatively simple compared to the average MMORPG or current-gen shooter, but it's pretty complex for me already and it's taking quite some time and dedication. Without all this experience, I would've gotten stuck long ago and probably have given up - if I had found out how to start it at all. :)

Simian Man gives states interesting option: modding existing games. You don't need to be a programmer to do so, as many games nowadays come with a level-editor and other tools right away. It's a good opportunity if you want to get insight in what it takes to create and design a good game.

Umm well.... I was just doing some stuff and I notice I cant make a fps mmorpg.... I didt say I wanted to do that :P Umm by the way I found a good link

Also Can I use directX to make high grapghic games?

EDIT: Would this be good Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express (Beta 2)

Or is that crappy grapic stuff?

Ok is this real or fake http://www.gametutorials.com/gtstore/c-1-opengl-tutorials.aspx so basicly is it bullshit or real?

EDIT: Also, What any good compilers I have visual one but when I input opengl it doesnt work it says it cant find Directory gl/glux.h somthin like that

[Edited by - tauren12 on November 9, 2006 7:05:22 PM]

What would you consider fake? It certainly looks real from my point of view. Especially this part: "It is recommended that you have a solid understanding of the C/C++ language and basic understanding of the Win32 API before learning the OpenGL API." So, DO you know that stuff? If not, then you'll probably not understand what the tutorial is trying to teach you. Its like trying to learn Calculus without knowing how to add very well.

I am going to attempt to answer your questions.

A) DirectX is used in the majority of commercial games, and I am 99.9% certain that it is the underyling 3d API behind WOW.

B) How a game looks, is determined by you or your teams skill at graphics and not the API. I can tell you that making "realistic" graphics is a very hard and time consuming process that takes great skill.

C) I would recommend and highly suggest that you forget the word MMORPG from your vocabulary. It takes a team of highly skilled, highly experienced people YEARS and tons of money (Thousands) to make an MMORPG. I am not saying that you can't someday get to the point where you can work on such a team, but you won't get there overnight or even in the next few years.

Start SMALL. I can't stress this enough. If you want to make progress and not waste time, you need to work on small projects. You do not possess enough experience to work on a massive project.

***Taurens glories moment turns into darth vaders mask***

Lol... Umm any good compiler for open gl And how do I nstall the headers after u give me one

Quote:
So all we really need to acomplish here is a good compiler and lets also get it to work so I can go buy that 32 dollar tutorials

No offense, but you really need to set realistic goals. We all doubt that you'll get a massive project like an MMORPG ever made with your current knowledge. Don't think that you can just start learning C++ and OpenGL. It takes alot of time to first learn C++, let alone OpenGL. Programming is no simple task, and requires alot more than ambition. I'm programming a single-player RPG that's taking alot of work to do. Alot of it is working well, but this wasn't easy. You just have to set realistic goals. Learn to program a game, not take multiple stabs at it until you finally give up- learn something...

sorry to put it bluntly, but you really should set realistic goals...