Sign in to follow this  
CommanderXXL

Direct3D10 Development

CommanderXXL    122
Hi, i have a very simple question: How is it possible that game companies like crytek can develop games for direct3d version 10? I have a GeForce 8800 GTX since today and wanted to port my 3d engine to the new direct3d version just to find out that there are no drivers for windows vista for my card. I have Vista RC1 installed just for this purpose and i downloaded the latest direcx sdk (October 2006) with Direct3D10 preview in it, but i have a no go for a direct3d10 driver for this graphics board. But Crytek seems to have developed their crysis engine for the new system long ago. How is this possible? Did they have access to hardware and drivers since many month now? If so, why does NVidia not release this driver now that the Hardware is finaly available to customers? I hope someone can answer this questions to me, since i desperatly want to use the new direct3d 10 features i my engine. I have many very good ideas and want to start implementing these using the new geometry shaders. Greetz CommanderXXL

circlesoft    1178
Quote:
Original post by CommanderXXL
But Crytek seems to have developed their crysis engine for the new system long ago. How is this possible? Did they have access to hardware and drivers since many month now?

Most likely, they have intimate developer relations with both the DirectX team and Nvidia. A developer as big as Crytek is sure to get a little attention [wink] Before hardware, they just used the reference rasterizer. When alpha hardware was first available, they were probably some of the first to get that.

Quote:
If so, why does NVidia not release this driver now that the Hardware is finaly available to customers?

They are probably still working on it. It's a good question though - since D3D10 is an open beta, how long will it be before we see some public beta drivers?

CTar    1134
Companies like Crytek have had access to D3D10 cards for a long time now. They do NOT buy their cards at eBay, newegg, etc. And have special deals with NVidia and other companies.

There currently are no public D3D10 drivers yet, but some companies (like Crytek) have non-public drivers. Also even if there were I would suspect they would only work on RC2. You can still use software emulation, this will be just as slow as integrated graphics, but you will have access to stuff like geometry shaders and you can use it for non-realtime testing.

EDIT: Way too late, it's those damn tabs

jollyjeffers    1570
I feel your pain... I was quite prepared to splash out some cash on a new GPU yesterday, but the lack of a driver makes it a waste of money....

Guess we Direct3D developers have to concede a point to the OpenGL camp - from what I've seen they've already got extensions for some (or all) of the new features [headshake]

Jack

CommanderXXL    122
Hmm, this all sounds quite understandable to me, but this practice is not very developer friendly. Especially those devolopers who don't develop games for millions of buyers, persons like me, who just want to make games for fun and for free to some people that want it. Ageia with their PhysX SDK just did the right thing: they allow almost anybody to get und use their physic sdk for free.
I see the point i not sending beta graphis boards to small developers, but it would at least be nice to make the beta drivers available for anybody the same day the hardware is in stores for normale people.

Today NVidia released the General Purpose SDK for their new G80 and again just for registered developers. In the form where you can register as developer you have to fill in even which game you are currently working on and when it is to ship in retail packages. Students like me, who just have fun writing games or some usefull tools which take advantage of new technologies are "not supported".

I hope that there will be a vista driver for the G80 soon and i hope the general purpose sdk for the g80 will be released to normal persons someday.

Thanks for reading my thoughts

Greetz

CommanderXXL