Help with job Interview

Started by
4 comments, last by JasonBlochowiak 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I will graduate this year, it's time to find a realjob. And a game programmer is what i want to become :). I'm preparing for job interview. I've been reading a few articles here on gamedev but I'd like to know abit more. So can anyone tell me : 1. The recruiting process(game biz in particular) 2. What do they expect from a graduate?(skill, grade, experience...) 3. What questions do they often ask in an interview? please contribute so we can have a question collection. I'm sure alot of people would like to know to. 4. Anything else that you think I should know. Thanks you :) tutukun [Edited by - Tutukun on November 10, 2006 1:13:57 AM]
Advertisement
Your going to get this advice alot; Make a game, make a demo. Have something to show them that you can hit the ground running if they hire you!

I've been asked alot of questions about geometry, find the shortest path to a line, line plane intersection etc.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
You're going to need to show experience and talent - that is most important.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but Cliffy B. said a while ago in an interview - something like...

"It's so hard to find good talent these days..."

and also...

"Make cool s**t. I mean, if you make cool stuff, people will want to hire you. Nonjaded talent is so hard to find these days."

I doubt these quotes are completely exact, but close. These two are some of my favorite quotes, because it really does illustrate a point. Programming is a much different business. Game companies want to see what you can do - they want to see what you can bring to their development team - they want to see talent.

So yeah, take some time and learn some programming and make some simple games to show at interviews.
-----------------------AMD Sempron 3400+, 1.7Gb PC3200 RAM, PNY nVidia GeForce 7600GT Money Spent- $465.00runs FEAR at max settings! (1024x768)
Thx guys. So a good demo is the key. Any pointer on interview question?.The stress during a interview can make me say something silly :S. So I really want to be prepared for many question as prossible.
Note: This is extremely bitty reply as I am writing it 'off the hip'. Apologies for that.

You will probably get the usual HR questions in an interview:
- Why do you want to work with us?
- What can you bring to the team?
- etc

Also prepare for a C/C++/programming test. These are likely to test your knowledge of the language eg:
- Why would you use global consts over #define?

And some 3D maths such as collisions, matrices and vectors.

They will defintely ask you what projects you have been involved especially if they are outside of University work and experience with tools/libraries/APIs. eg:
- OpenGL
- DirectX
- Source Control

Depending on the company, they will ask you what you know about the consoles and limitations and current and next generation.

Even if you haven't used them, they would expect you to at least know about them in some way.

Make show any demos you have work on the day, whether it be on your laptop or a company's computer or even better a console such as the GP2X, PSP or GBA etc. The quicker you can get it running, the better. At worst, show them a video (if you get a chance).

Although you should get a portfolio together, half the company's you apply to won't look at it in any great depth so be prepared to talk about it in the interview.

Have source code ready to download or on a disc so you can give it to them on the day.

If you have any experience working in a group project related to software development, make sure you make a point of mentioning even if it went wrong. Just make sure you can explain why it went right or wrong and what you can do better.

Apply directly to companies. Avoid agencies as much as you can unless you have to (eg Sony). If you have a friend in a company, even better.

Expect to answer large problems such as how you would implement a collision engine. While they would be looking for a good answer, they are more interested in your thought process and the technical knowledge you apply to it. They will also like to add a spanner to the problem just so they can screw your original answer over and see how you adopt to it.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by Tutukun
Thx guys. So a good demo is the key. Any pointer on interview question?.The stress during a interview can make me say something silly :S. So I really want to be prepared for many question as prossible.

Interviewers know that interviewees are nervous. Depending on how well I expect someone to perform under pressure, I either do my best to alleviate their nervousness, or capitalize on it to see how well they can do when in a stressful situation.

Some game jobs require calm under stress, some jobs don't. For an entry-level position, you're not likely to be interviewed for a position in the critical path.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement