Sign in to follow this  
Shadowed

My first particle fire!

Shadowed    232
Hello everyone, I have just finished my first particle fire, took me slightly less than 24 hours to complete, so check it out! http://forum.armkb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12640&d=1163033864 I'd like to hear what can I do to make it look more realistic. Also, if anyone has nice fire/smoke sprites that he'd want to share with me for my bigger 1-week project that I'm gonna start on monday, I'd greatly appreciate it and give him a written credit in the (albeit small) game that I'm also gonna show off here. Cheers!

Shadowed    232
Ah, I would also like to receive feedback about any errors on your system.

To note, on my system:
Pentium IV HT 3.2GHz
DirectX 9.0c
nVidia GeForce 6600, 256Mb
RAM: 1Gb

It runs well and smooth, with ~400FPS in the fullscreen (200 particles).

The application uses Direct3D9 and point sprites.

flounder    100
Works for me, I have an Nvidia GeForce Go 6800. All it looked like was one big white circle though, not really a fire. I haven't tried any fire particle effects, but for starters, don't use so many sprites and spawn them in a more confined space.

Alpha_ProgDes    6921
I haven't tried but it seems like a video card issue to me. Two people with NVidias got the demo to work and 3 people with ATIs got a gray screen.

Are you using OpenGL or Direct3D (8 or 9)?
Is there a NVidia specific call that doesn't work on ATIs?

ViLiO    1326
I have Nvidia hardware and saw the same as flouder displayed when running it. It also ran like a one-legged dog though ...Fraps was reporting a massive 15fps on my 6600gt [wink]

If you are using point sprites then ATI hardware doesn't support sizes greater than 256 even on the more recent cards.

Regards,
ViLiO

cNoob    295
Are you using a hardware device, could you release a software device version because it fails to create a device on my end :)

Also whats this one week program your developing, if its much like the RPG game in one week article, then it sounds interesting =]

PS. I've only got an onboard gfx card!

Shadowed    232
Woopie. So many people with no fire huh :(

Well.
I am using point sprites as mentioned, and I was aware that the ATI cards do not have a very good support for them. I just didn't know it would be so bad :)
It's interesting that it did not run on 6600GT, I think that it should be very similar to my 6600.

A blank gray screen means that the point sprites simply don't get rendered. Perhaps I should stop using point sprites and just implement the particle system using quads. Uh.

flounder, can you please post a screenshot of what the fire looked like on your system? That'd help me a lot, because I get a feeling that you didn't see what I see on my system.

ViLiO, interesting, because I get a pretty high FPS on my system (see my system specs in my second post).

Qa303asmGuru, the application assumes you have hardware video acceleration :) Sorry no software version.

cNoob, it's a two-week multiplayer deathmatch game (with lots of eye candies) and we're starting it on monday. I'm also planning to keep a detailed diary for each and every hour, and I'm wondering if we can have it published somewhere on Gamedev.net - perhaps it'd be a good guide for other people. However, this is a subject for another topic and I'll post it in a days (perhaps on monday).

Thanks a lot for trying it out, everyone, I'll work on a more compatible version today and reply here the new version address. Cheers!

deadlydog    170
Quote:
Original post by flounder
Quote:

flounder, can you please post a screenshot of what the fire looked like on your system?

sure:

I get this too. Looks sort of like a shot of the surface of the sun or something...sort of

My system:
256mb NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS PCI-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
DirectX 9.0c
1.5GB DDR RAM

Sign in to follow this