My first particle fire!

Started by
11 comments, last by deadlydog 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone, I have just finished my first particle fire, took me slightly less than 24 hours to complete, so check it out! http://forum.armkb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12640&d=1163033864 I'd like to hear what can I do to make it look more realistic. Also, if anyone has nice fire/smoke sprites that he'd want to share with me for my bigger 1-week project that I'm gonna start on monday, I'd greatly appreciate it and give him a written credit in the (albeit small) game that I'm also gonna show off here. Cheers!
--I hate you.
Advertisement
Ah, I would also like to receive feedback about any errors on your system.

To note, on my system:
Pentium IV HT 3.2GHz
DirectX 9.0c
nVidia GeForce 6600, 256Mb
RAM: 1Gb

It runs well and smooth, with ~400FPS in the fullscreen (200 particles).

The application uses Direct3D9 and point sprites.
--I hate you.
All I got was a blank, gray screen.

AMD Athlon 64 2.1GHz
DirectX 9.0c
ATI Sapphire x700 PRO, 256mb
3GB DDR400 RAM
Blank grey screen here too.

Intel Centrino 1,73GHz
ATI Mobile x700 64mb
512MB RAM
-----"Master! Apprentice! Heartborne, 7th Seeker Warrior! Disciple! In me the Wishmaster..." Wishmaster - Nightwish
grey screen too, sorry. maybe you forgot to enable something in the release?

Windows XP SP2 w/ DX9.0c
Intel P4 HT 3GHz
1024 DDR2
ATI x800 SE, 128mb
Works for me, I have an Nvidia GeForce Go 6800. All it looked like was one big white circle though, not really a fire. I haven't tried any fire particle effects, but for starters, don't use so many sprites and spawn them in a more confined space.
I haven't tried but it seems like a video card issue to me. Two people with NVidias got the demo to work and 3 people with ATIs got a gray screen.

Are you using OpenGL or Direct3D (8 or 9)?
Is there a NVidia specific call that doesn't work on ATIs?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I have Nvidia hardware and saw the same as flouder displayed when running it. It also ran like a one-legged dog though ...Fraps was reporting a massive 15fps on my 6600gt [wink]

If you are using point sprites then ATI hardware doesn't support sizes greater than 256 even on the more recent cards.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
"Create Device" error message.

Specs:
Integrated Video. Enough said. (on my work comp)
Are you using a hardware device, could you release a software device version because it fails to create a device on my end :)

Also whats this one week program your developing, if its much like the RPG game in one week article, then it sounds interesting =]

PS. I've only got an onboard gfx card!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement