Sign in to follow this  
JohNny45

left of '-writeNewObject' must point to class/struct/union

Hi All Need some help figuring out this error message I get when I compile. It might very well be my use of the extern keyword thats causing the problem... I've got a Log class that I've set to external in my main class // external variables extern Log *log = new Log(); My understanding of the extern keyword is that I should be able to use this log object in any other class in my project. But when I compile I get the following message d:\Visual Studio Projects\...\GUI_Background.cpp(17): error C2227: left of '->writeNewObject' must point to class/struct/union Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. -Nny

Although the source of the error here may be fairly obvious, it would still be best to post the specific line of code where the error occurs.

That said, I think the problem is that you're using 'extern' incorrectly (I say "I think' because I haven't used the extern keyword that much myself recently and so may be missing something or other).

Here is what I believe is an example of correct usage:

global_log.h

#ifndef GLOBAL_LOG_H
#define GLOBAL_LOG_H

#include "Log.h"

extern Log* g_log;

#endif

global_log.cpp

#include "Log.h"

Log* g_log;

Then elsewhere in your code, presumably in an initialization function of some sort:
#include "global_log.h"
// ...
g_log = new Log;
Note that the above is untested and may not be error-free.

I don't see anything wrong with jyk's code. That should work.

You can also manually put the "extern Log* g_log;" into every file that uses it. You don't need it in the file you are initilizing it in though. There you can put "extern Log *log = new Log();", "Log* g_log = new Log();", or "Log* g_log; "but not "extern Log *log".

Obviously jyk's solution is cleaner, but you should read what I said to understand how extern works.