Sign in to follow this  
mako_5

Coder's Block

I've have a serious case of coder's block for the last 1-2 months. I just can't seem to get anything written (which is why I stopped trying for the last few weeks). Can anyone offer any suggestions? EDIT: I thought I might need to clarify my situation. I've coded almost non-stop for the last 2.5-3 years since I started learning how to program (for better or worse). Most of the time I would stumble a way around problems to finish a project (I abandoned my share of projects along the way too, but these were foolish ones, e.g. making a 3D RTS on my own with little knowledge of these techniques and settled for writing tetris and then asteroids instead). Now however, I dropped from doing OpenGL with Java to a text-only C++ (a new language for me) game I just can't seem to make headway on. I've gotten a command interpreter framework setup (with interfaces for generic Command and Interpreters for different situations, etc.), but can't seem to get items, player movement, and game rooms working (I'm trying to have it so rooms are loaded by mini-locations, so when you move to a new zone on the map, it'll save the last zone and load the new one). Is this a problem that anyone else has run into? [Edited by - mako_5 on November 9, 2006 8:49:00 PM]

a hello world application would probably be a good start. you can't just sit down and start producing full-fledged games. you have to start with the basics.

i'm assuming this is about your level since ayone with real experience would have had the sense to indicate their level of expertise.

good luck.

Yeah, realized kinda what you were saying about indicating experience when you posted. Here's some of the stuff I've finished.

• A chess game/GUI with AI.

• A simple neural network that you could teach colors from RGB values (it used a simple version of associative-like memory).

• Tic-tac-toe with Java3D (don't recommend this API, it's crazy)

• Tetris with Java2D, and then remade with LWJGL

• Asteroids with LWJGL and added OpenAL support

• Simple text-only mastermind to work with C++

Maybe it's just this text only RPG adventure game that's just bugging me and I need to switch to another project. However, I don't really like the idea of giving up on things, but might need to do it anyways.

[Edited by - mako_5 on November 9, 2006 9:52:27 PM]

tried a sidescroller yet? not my prefered type of game but pretty good experience and you'll learn how to work with sprites and bitmap arrays and stuff.

Can't really help you with your coder's block, but as an LWJGL programmer myself I am curious about why you decided to drop it :)

I get stuck with being unable to write anything sometimes too, it's not really all that strange. Usually if I go off to work on something else, possibly not even programming related, it helps. Sometimes this could even be asset production.

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
Can't really help you with your coder's block, but as an LWJGL programmer myself I am curious about why you decided to drop it :)

I really love LWJGL. I made a couple of games with it and finally had some basic OpenAL support working with my asteroids clone (though it bugged up for weird reasons I still need to go find out about).

It's just I'm taking a data structures class that is used to teach C++ at the same time (there is no C++ class before at my college, which is a load of crap). So I'm trying to learn C++ and data-structures at the same time, and after having to erase public from a bunch of method declarations when taking tests, I realized writing Java between classes might not be beneficial to my grade.

Java is an incredible language in the ability to write code very quickly (at least for me). While it doesn't necessarily run as fast as C++, and doesn't have explicit memory deletion (other than System.gc()), I am still going to go back to it. Maybe during winter break after this semester.

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
Sometimes this could even be asset production.

Can't believe I didn't think about this.

Quote:
Original post by sharpnova
tried a sidescroller yet? not my prefered type of game but pretty good experience and you'll learn how to work with sprites and bitmap arrays and stuff.

I finally got SDL working with Eclipse (though it conflicts with CxxTest, but what the heck...). Sounds like a good choice.

Thanks for pointing me back in the right direction.

I find I usually get coders block because I'm worried about putting in a great deal of effort only for it to be completely wrong... fear of failure.

To get past this roadblock I changed my programming workflow:

- Finer grained ToDo lists, so I could always start with a 30 minute task to get back into the project.

- Tried a more get-it-working-first approach. Instead of messing about stuff which really doesn't add much to the project, I instead did the tasks which would give me instant feedback. For example getting explosions and sound-effects working is better than designing a particle library with a VM for any effect you could possibly want.(Unless your project *is* a particle library).

- Using SVN (more). I'm not afraid of making massive changes and it screwing up, I can always go back to a previous version.